Nov 24, 2009, 11:26 AM EDT
Last year the Angels balked when the Jays demanded either Jered Weaver or Joe Saunders, Erick Aybar and prospect Peter Bourjos for Roy Halladay. I would have balked too, that’s way too steep. Now, however, it appears that the Jays are being more reasonable, and that may get the Angels back in the game:
A trade for Halladay this winter is expected to cost the Angels a young starter — Weaver, Saunders or Ervin Santana — but new Blue Jays General Manager Alex Anthopolous appears willing to make a deal that does not include Aybar, who hit .312 with five home runs and 58 runs batted in and played Gold Glove-caliber defense this season.
Unlike Ricciardi, Anthopolous reportedly is willing to allow teams a window to sign Halladay to a contract extension, which makes the pitcher, who will be paid $15.75 million in 2010, an even more attractive trade target.
My friend Sam Miller at the OC Register explains why any deal that includes Erick Aybar would be a bad one for the Angels. the upshot: Aybar is young, cheap and valuable. Halladay is older, expensive and valuable. Making that deal plus adding in a top prospect and a good starting pitcher and the Angels are making a big mistake.
But a deal short of Aybar? Interesting. Interesting indeed.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)