Nov 24, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT
Rosenthal says that someone “with close knowledge of the Tigers’ organization” thinks that the Angels may be the best trade partner out there for Detroit, given that they have depth at the three positions the Tigers have the most need: catcher, shortstop, and minimum-salary pitching.
Setting aside the curiousness of the phrase “someone with close knowledge of the Tigers’ organization” — who is that? A writer? A front office guy? A croupier from the MotorCity Casino? — Rosenthal adds the Angels to the long list of teams who would be interested in Curtis Granderson. More so than in Edwin Jackson, despite the fact that he’d help fill a hole created by the presumed departure of John Lackey. It’s all about (a) control, in that Granderson is locked up longer; and (b) Boras, as in Jackson is represented by him, making it less likely that they’d be able to keep him around beyond 2011 when he hits the market.
I still remain unconvinced that the Tigers will trade Granderson, if for no other reason that that which makes him so desirable — that he’s a cheap, All-Star quality centerfielder — is the exact thing that makes him so valuable to a Tigers.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 50
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 41
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 111
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (189)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (111)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)