Nov 24, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT
Rosenthal says that someone “with close knowledge of the Tigers’ organization” thinks that the Angels may be the best trade partner out there for Detroit, given that they have depth at the three positions the Tigers have the most need: catcher, shortstop, and minimum-salary pitching.
Setting aside the curiousness of the phrase “someone with close knowledge of the Tigers’ organization” — who is that? A writer? A front office guy? A croupier from the MotorCity Casino? — Rosenthal adds the Angels to the long list of teams who would be interested in Curtis Granderson. More so than in Edwin Jackson, despite the fact that he’d help fill a hole created by the presumed departure of John Lackey. It’s all about (a) control, in that Granderson is locked up longer; and (b) Boras, as in Jackson is represented by him, making it less likely that they’d be able to keep him around beyond 2011 when he hits the market.
I still remain unconvinced that the Tigers will trade Granderson, if for no other reason that that which makes him so desirable — that he’s a cheap, All-Star quality centerfielder — is the exact thing that makes him so valuable to a Tigers.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 5
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 4
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 3
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)