Nov 24, 2009, 1:48 PM EDT
One of the worst things the Mets ever did — and believe me, there’s a long list to choose from — was to go wacky with their uniforms in the past few years. Those blue things from the 80s were bad enough, but the black caps and alternate jerseys they introduced a few years ago are more or less an abomination. Less offensive are the solid home whites, but they’re still sub-optimal. Their original uniforms — a mix of Yankee pinstripe, Dodger blue and Giants orange in honor of their New York Baseball forerunners — was always elegant and never in need of an upgrade.
Thankfully the Mets are bringing back the Seaver-era classics next season, at least as an alternate, retro thing. Here’s hoping that they go 10-0 or whatever in the new duds and make the change permanent.
If you look like a winner you’ll play like a winner, right? I mean, the Astros and Rockies have never won a World Series, have they?
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 27
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 20
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 54
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)