Nov 24, 2009, 1:48 PM EST
One of the worst things the Mets ever did — and believe me, there’s a long list to choose from — was to go wacky with their uniforms in the past few years. Those blue things from the 80s were bad enough, but the black caps and alternate jerseys they introduced a few years ago are more or less an abomination. Less offensive are the solid home whites, but they’re still sub-optimal. Their original uniforms — a mix of Yankee pinstripe, Dodger blue and Giants orange in honor of their New York Baseball forerunners — was always elegant and never in need of an upgrade.
Thankfully the Mets are bringing back the Seaver-era classics next season, at least as an alternate, retro thing. Here’s hoping that they go 10-0 or whatever in the new duds and make the change permanent.
If you look like a winner you’ll play like a winner, right? I mean, the Astros and Rockies have never won a World Series, have they?
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)