Nov 24, 2009, 1:25 PM EST
Here are the overall number one picks from the past decade: Adrian Gonzalez; Joe Mauer; Bryan Bullington; Delmon Young; Matt Bush; Justin Upton; Luke Hochevar; David Price; Tim Beckham; Stephen Strasburg.
Guess which one the Royals just acquired!
If your answer is “the worst one,” well, you’re wrong, because that would be Matt Bush and he’s out of the game. If it’s “the second worst one” you’re right! At long last, Bryan Bullington is a Royal! He’s almost 30 and he has pitched all of 39 innings in the big leagues. Unless something extraordinary happens he’s not going to contribute all that much. But hey, maybe he and Luke Hochevar can pass the time in the bullpen talking about how cool it was to be number one overall picks.
I know. This is boring. Try to contain your excitement. They’ll announce the MVP in less than an hour and we can all argue about that then.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 74
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)