Nov 24, 2009, 1:25 PM EST
Here are the overall number one picks from the past decade: Adrian Gonzalez; Joe Mauer; Bryan Bullington; Delmon Young; Matt Bush; Justin Upton; Luke Hochevar; David Price; Tim Beckham; Stephen Strasburg.
Guess which one the Royals just acquired!
If your answer is “the worst one,” well, you’re wrong, because that would be Matt Bush and he’s out of the game. If it’s “the second worst one” you’re right! At long last, Bryan Bullington is a Royal! He’s almost 30 and he has pitched all of 39 innings in the big leagues. Unless something extraordinary happens he’s not going to contribute all that much. But hey, maybe he and Luke Hochevar can pass the time in the bullpen talking about how cool it was to be number one overall picks.
I know. This is boring. Try to contain your excitement. They’ll announce the MVP in less than an hour and we can all argue about that then.
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 34
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 24
- Roy Halladay is retiring 54
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 50
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)