The Twins hope to give their fans a Christmas present

Nov 24, 2009, 10:57 AM EDT

The Strib’s Joe Christensen reports that “there are indications the team hopes to have a new deal with [Joe] Mauer by Christmas.” Um, “indications the team hopes to have. . .” So is it unclear whether the team really hopes to have a deal done, or do they definitely hope to have a deal done and there are merely indications that it can be done?

Forgive my pedantry here, but Mauer is the biggest fish in the sea for two or three seasons in either direction, so parsing this language is just as important as reading Ben Bernanke’s body language to see if the market is going to tank or something. I’m going to assume, based on the fact that Christensen reports that talks between Mauer and the Twins are actually happening now, that the “indications” language is mere sloppiness and that the team and the player are truly on track to have a big honking deal in place in the next month.

Which would be all kinds of fabulous.  Certainly for Twins fans, who will freak out in all kinds of good ways if he’s locked up.  Also for the Twins’ ownership, who will reap the benefits of the freakout in the form of a bunch of new season ticket subscriptions for their new yard and Mauer jerseys flying off the rack with renewed gusto.  But also for baseball as a whole which, given all of the competitive balance fretting that has returned to the zeitgeist in the wake of the Yankees winning the World Series, could use a good “hometown boy stays at home” story heading into January, the darkest month of baseball’s offseason.

Indeed, if the Twins sign Mauer now, the only people who will be upset is that particularly annoying subset of Yankees and Red Sox fan who think that it’s their birthright to possess every good player within, oh, a decade of free agency and covets said players accordingly.

Man I hate those dudes.

1. Mark Runsvold - Nov 24, 2009 at 11:28 AM

There are indications I’m hoping this is true, sources familiar with the matter report.

2. annoying Yankees fan here - Nov 24, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Dude, you are a FOOL, do you know how GOOD THE PINSTRIPES WOULD MAKE YOU LQQK, THEY WOULD MAKE YOU LQQK SLIM AND FEEL LIKE A
    WINNER TOO, BIG MISTAKE DUDE.
    ADIOS

3. annoying Yankees fan here - Nov 24, 2009 at 11:31 AM

WINNER TOO, BIG MISTAKE DUDE.
    ADIOS

4. Grant - Nov 24, 2009 at 12:17 PM

I laughed.

5. StevenEll - Nov 24, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Like the use of Q’s. Very classy.

6. Moronic Yankee Fan - Nov 24, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Come on, Mauer don’t be an idiot!!
    Come to New York. We can offer you all the money in the world and you’ll win a World Series every year!!
    Why stay with the team you love and grew up wanting to play for. Just come to New York where you can be just another hired gun instead of a cult hero.
    Money, money, money, money, money, money!!!
    We’ll go ahead and trade the Twins Johnny Damon and Bobby Abreu and Jason Giambi and Carl Pavano, just like we offered for Santana.
    What?! They don’t play here anymore?! Whatever, I don’t actually watch any games, I just wear the hat and tell Red Sox fans to F*CK OFF and count my rings, not that I actually have any rings, but the Yankees do, 20-something of them. I don’t really follow baseball.
    I do know that Teixeira or Jeter should have won the MVP though.
    Go Yankees!

7. Sam - Nov 24, 2009 at 2:59 PM

We in Minnesota are starting a lemonade stand to help the poor, impoverished Pohlad family pay for Joltin’ Joe.

8. Moronic Red Sawx Fan - Nov 24, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Joe, we know you’re not going to sign with the Twins, let’s quit messin’ around here, huh!

Howsabouts you go ahead and tell ‘em to ship you up to Bawstun. Get it, it’s like that song. Shippin’ Up to Baw…nevermind. The point is, come to Bawstun!!

We’re willing to offer the Twins Jason Varitek and Mike Lowell and if they ask nicely, they can even have Tim Wakefield. Hell if they want we can just make it ‘Tek and Dice-K straight-up, all you gotta do is pay their salaries. Sounds like one helluva deal, huh!

Hell we’ll getcha either way, because we’re the Red Sawx. There’s no way Bill Smith is gonna trade you, because he’s not smart enough to realize you’re even in a contract year.

We’ll just offer you $10 billion dollars of 100 years when you hit free agency and you’ll be all ours.

…and you can have all the chowda you can handle, for free. Until you start to slip-up, then we’ll turn on you so fast it’ll make your head spin!!

But yeah, come to Bawston!

9. MikeS - Nov 24, 2009 at 5:51 PM

So if Mauer stays in Minnesota, does that mean there is no competitive balance problem? Or does it become one lonely example that MLB can hold up and say “What competitive balance problem?” Sort of like when Tampa wins a pennant.

10. Paul Tobias - Jan 10, 2010 at 1:12 PM

A good background check service is difficult to find.

11. online forex trading - Feb 13, 2010 at 5:39 PM

I must say I’ve been searching for some good blog post regarding this topic . Searching in Bing I finally found your blog. After going over this information I’m really glad to say that I have a good feeling I found just what I was searching for. I will make sure to save this blog and come back here regularly . Thanks! :-)

12. online stock trading - Feb 16, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Hey very nice blog!!….I’m an instant fan, I have bookmarked you and I’ll be checking back on a regular….See ya

Orioles turn AL East on its head