Nov 24, 2009, 10:57 AM EDT
The Strib’s Joe Christensen reports that “there are indications the team hopes to have a new deal with [Joe] Mauer by Christmas.” Um, “indications the team hopes to have. . .” So is it unclear whether the team really hopes to have a deal done, or do they definitely hope to have a deal done and there are merely indications that it can be done?
Forgive my pedantry here, but Mauer is the biggest fish in the sea for two or three seasons in either direction, so parsing this language is just as important as reading Ben Bernanke’s body language to see if the market is going to tank or something. I’m going to assume, based on the fact that Christensen reports that talks between Mauer and the Twins are actually happening now, that the “indications” language is mere sloppiness and that the team and the player are truly on track to have a big honking deal in place in the next month.
Which would be all kinds of fabulous. Certainly for Twins fans, who will freak out in all kinds of good ways if he’s locked up. Also for the Twins’ ownership, who will reap the benefits of the freakout in the form of a bunch of new season ticket subscriptions for their new yard and Mauer jerseys flying off the rack with renewed gusto. But also for baseball as a whole which, given all of the competitive balance fretting that has returned to the zeitgeist in the wake of the Yankees winning the World Series, could use a good “hometown boy stays at home” story heading into January, the darkest month of baseball’s offseason.
Indeed, if the Twins sign Mauer now, the only people who will be upset is that particularly annoying subset of Yankees and Red Sox fan who think that it’s their birthright to possess every good player within, oh, a decade of free agency and covets said players accordingly.
Man I hate those dudes.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?