Nov 24, 2009, 3:28 PM EDT
According to Mark Gonzalez of the Chicago Tribune, the White Sox have shown interest in free agent outfielder Coco Crisp.
The Royals declined Crisp’s $8 million option earlier this month,
making him a free agent. Crisp’s agent Steve Compte confirmed the
interest with Gonzalez:
“I have talked to (general manager) Kenny Williams on a preliminary
basis,” Steve Compte said Tuesday. “We’re going to be a little patient.
We haven’t talked dollars. We’re trying to identify the teams where
there’s definitely a fit, and I’m sure they want to explore other
Crisp, 30, batted .228/.336/.378
with three home runs, 14 RBI and 13 stolen bases in 180 at-bats in 2009
before undergoing season-ending surgery on his right shoulder in June. Compte told Gonzalez that Crisp is expected to be fully recovered by spring training.
Alex Rios could ably play center
field if Scott Podsednik doesn’t return, but Crisp would be a worthy
acquisition on an incentive-laden contract to be Chicago’s leadoff man. While Crisp could land in Chicago, the Royals have also expressed interest in bringing him back despite declining the option.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)