Nov 24, 2009, 3:28 PM EST
According to Mark Gonzalez of the Chicago Tribune, the White Sox have shown interest in free agent outfielder Coco Crisp.
The Royals declined Crisp’s $8 million option earlier this month,
making him a free agent. Crisp’s agent Steve Compte confirmed the
interest with Gonzalez:
“I have talked to (general manager) Kenny Williams on a preliminary
basis,” Steve Compte said Tuesday. “We’re going to be a little patient.
We haven’t talked dollars. We’re trying to identify the teams where
there’s definitely a fit, and I’m sure they want to explore other
Crisp, 30, batted .228/.336/.378
with three home runs, 14 RBI and 13 stolen bases in 180 at-bats in 2009
before undergoing season-ending surgery on his right shoulder in June. Compte told Gonzalez that Crisp is expected to be fully recovered by spring training.
Alex Rios could ably play center
field if Scott Podsednik doesn’t return, but Crisp would be a worthy
acquisition on an incentive-laden contract to be Chicago’s leadoff man. While Crisp could land in Chicago, the Royals have also expressed interest in bringing him back despite declining the option.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 42
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 108
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (115)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)