Nov 24, 2009, 3:28 PM EDT
According to Mark Gonzalez of the Chicago Tribune, the White Sox have shown interest in free agent outfielder Coco Crisp.
The Royals declined Crisp’s $8 million option earlier this month,
making him a free agent. Crisp’s agent Steve Compte confirmed the
interest with Gonzalez:
“I have talked to (general manager) Kenny Williams on a preliminary
basis,” Steve Compte said Tuesday. “We’re going to be a little patient.
We haven’t talked dollars. We’re trying to identify the teams where
there’s definitely a fit, and I’m sure they want to explore other
Crisp, 30, batted .228/.336/.378
with three home runs, 14 RBI and 13 stolen bases in 180 at-bats in 2009
before undergoing season-ending surgery on his right shoulder in June. Compte told Gonzalez that Crisp is expected to be fully recovered by spring training.
Alex Rios could ably play center
field if Scott Podsednik doesn’t return, but Crisp would be a worthy
acquisition on an incentive-laden contract to be Chicago’s leadoff man. While Crisp could land in Chicago, the Royals have also expressed interest in bringing him back despite declining the option.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 25
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 56
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)