Nov 24, 2009, 3:28 PM EST
According to Mark Gonzalez of the Chicago Tribune, the White Sox have shown interest in free agent outfielder Coco Crisp.
The Royals declined Crisp’s $8 million option earlier this month,
making him a free agent. Crisp’s agent Steve Compte confirmed the
interest with Gonzalez:
“I have talked to (general manager) Kenny Williams on a preliminary
basis,” Steve Compte said Tuesday. “We’re going to be a little patient.
We haven’t talked dollars. We’re trying to identify the teams where
there’s definitely a fit, and I’m sure they want to explore other
Crisp, 30, batted .228/.336/.378
with three home runs, 14 RBI and 13 stolen bases in 180 at-bats in 2009
before undergoing season-ending surgery on his right shoulder in June. Compte told Gonzalez that Crisp is expected to be fully recovered by spring training.
Alex Rios could ably play center
field if Scott Podsednik doesn’t return, but Crisp would be a worthy
acquisition on an incentive-laden contract to be Chicago’s leadoff man. While Crisp could land in Chicago, the Royals have also expressed interest in bringing him back despite declining the option.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 19
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)