Nov 24, 2009, 3:28 PM EDT
According to Mark Gonzalez of the Chicago Tribune, the White Sox have shown interest in free agent outfielder Coco Crisp.
The Royals declined Crisp’s $8 million option earlier this month,
making him a free agent. Crisp’s agent Steve Compte confirmed the
interest with Gonzalez:
“I have talked to (general manager) Kenny Williams on a preliminary
basis,” Steve Compte said Tuesday. “We’re going to be a little patient.
We haven’t talked dollars. We’re trying to identify the teams where
there’s definitely a fit, and I’m sure they want to explore other
Crisp, 30, batted .228/.336/.378
with three home runs, 14 RBI and 13 stolen bases in 180 at-bats in 2009
before undergoing season-ending surgery on his right shoulder in June. Compte told Gonzalez that Crisp is expected to be fully recovered by spring training.
Alex Rios could ably play center
field if Scott Podsednik doesn’t return, but Crisp would be a worthy
acquisition on an incentive-laden contract to be Chicago’s leadoff man. While Crisp could land in Chicago, the Royals have also expressed interest in bringing him back despite declining the option.
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 17
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 19
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 43
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- Royals acquire ace Johnny Cueto from the Reds 71
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)