Adrian Gonzalez is not available

Nov 25, 2009, 11:01 AM EDT

Someone let ESPN’s Buster Olney know that teams asking the Padres about Adrian Gonzalez are being told to take a hike.

Which makes perfect sense.  Gonzalez is cheap, he’s the only draw left in San Diego, and it’s season ticket renewal time. Trade him now and not only do you not likely get value back (wait until everyone is desperate at the trade deadline) but you discourage the last two dozen Padres fans there are left.

The implications: either (a) the beery rumor talk isn’t as reliable as we think it is; or (b) Buster Olney just doesn’t go to the right bars.

1. Old Gator - Nov 25, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Craig – not that I fail to be obsessed by all things Adrian Gonzalez, but what the hell is this sudden lemming migration to Twitter by the other CTB bloggers? Have they decided that they’re so sick and tired of having their readers extrapolate or warm to their themes that they want to impose the Tweet choke collar on our correspondence? Aside from which, the Twitter graphics are downright ugly – kinda like those Bauhaus apartment projects in postwar Europe that all got torn down because depressed tenants were jumping off the roof. Looks like you’re the only one left here now. This is a major, and very stupid, tactical error on MSNBC’s part, I think. But then, I’m not a lemming.

2. Craig Calcaterra - Nov 25, 2009 at 1:06 PM

I’ll admit I don’t fully grok the Twitter yet. Every blogger I know swears by it, but I don’t quite see the fuss. If it can be set up to where a link to whatever post I put up here goes out on an auto tweet w/link to the blog, I can see it: people on mobiles or who don’t come back and check can be reminded of new content. If it’s bypassing here, eh, I’d rather have the characters.
    I think it can be done that way, actually, so I may activate an account soon. But this will certainly be where the orgininal content and the commentary resides if I have any say in the matter.

3. Old Gator - Nov 25, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Glad to hear you’re going to stay here with the rest of us early cro-magnons. I admit I’m a bit of a stranger in a strange land myself on some of these web services, but frankly, my sterling Luddite credentials notwithstanding, some of these things are so seductive of the weak-witted that I’m tempted to see behind them the kind of subliminal general anaesthesiaand anamnesia induced by the invisible messages in They Live.
    Now, about Adrian Gonzalez – uh – who’s Adrian Gonzalez, anyway?

4. JL - Nov 25, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Effing saints alive, Old Gator, put down the conspiracy-theorist thesaurus. Your writing style reeks of it. What are you doing on this side of the web anyway? Shouldn’t you be over at RedState or Gateway Pundit or something similarly ridiculous? I don’t like Twitter either, but I don’t go moaning about the breakdown of modern society because of it. It just so happens to be very popular within a certain set on the tubes these days. You can use it or not. Don’t you worry, the government won’t force you to tweet at least twice a day if healthcare reform is passed (wink, wink). (My winking implies that, of course, the government will in fact be instituting mandatory tweeting requirements in the near future, which they will monitor with chips implanted in your brain’s tweeting lobe, as you have long suspected. Curse that Obama!)

5. Old Gator - Nov 26, 2009 at 1:59 AM

I am intrinsically suspicious of anyone who tries to deprive me of my favorite paranoias. What’s your game, anyway, JL? And stop looking at me like that!
    And I can’t wait for mandatory health care. I’ve had this goddamned cold for two weeks now!

6. Old Gator - Nov 26, 2009 at 1:59 AM

7. mathias schlutz - Dec 9, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Super Seite – Hab eine Frage. Mein kleines Ego ist auch aktuell dabei meinen Weblog zu bauen und ich finde dein Design gut. Wo kann man das installiert bekommen?

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto