Damon to the press: "Tell the Yankees I want to sign!"

Nov 25, 2009, 8:55 AM EDT

Johnny Damon, speaking to the press at a light switch-flipping event at the Empire State Building yesterday:

“I know what’s here in New York – you have the new Stadium, you have
the great coaches, you have the great players. You guys
just have to tell Cash to get things going with me. I’m up for it.”

I don’t mean to beat this theme to death, and to be sure, Damon was likely just joking around with the press a bit yesterday, but it makes absolutely no sense to me that Damon is sticking with Scott Boras this winter.

Damon wants to sign now. Boras likes to wait as long as possible. Damon obviously wants to sign with a certain team. Boras likes to play the field. Damon is a leftfielder. Boras’ top free agent this winter is a better leftfielder who would clearly like to have the Yankees bidding on him, either in earnest, or to simply jack his price up to other teams.

There may be dynamics in the Boras-Damon we know nothing about. Loyalty. A real game plan that is totally at odds with Damon’s current statements.  But as things presently stand,  there is nothing to suggest that Damon’s interests are best served by the usual Scott Boras
approach.

1. IdahoMariner - Nov 25, 2009 at 11:04 AM

The only time, it seems, that a player’s interests are best served by the usual Scott Boras approach, is when the player ONLY cares about the cash. Which serves a purpose, of course. But it seems to be a recurrent theme, as you’ve pointed out, that Boras’ primary interest (get as much cash as he can for his client so that he gets as much cash as he can for himself) conflicts with what his clients might want beyond cash. I’m no A-Rod fan, but even I was appalled at how Boras’ posturing almost cost A-Rod the chance to keep playing for the only team that A-Rod wants to play for. Looks like that might happen again, but I don’t think Damon has the clout (i.e, New York can take or leave him) that A-Rod had to make it stop.

2. Mark Runsvold - Nov 25, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Greetings, fellow Idaho traveler! I basically agree with the spirit of your comment, but I think it’s worth pointing out that players, collectively, are likely best served by tactics like Boras’. I, as much as anyone, can fall for that romantic notion of the hometown guy sticking around at a discount just because he adores his team so. Owners prey on that kind of sentimentalism, though, so someone like Boras has to be there to keep players thinking clearly. It can obviously be taken too far (like with A-Rod’s opt-out fiasco), but I sort of admire Boras for making a career out of being That A**hole.
    I’m not one of these efficient markets people that thinks nobody would have the incentive to play professional baseball if A-Rod were only paid $15 million a year. It’s just that an awful lot of money is being generated by MLB, and if it doesn’t end with the players, it sure as hell isn’t going toward lower ticket prices. There are certainly social justice issues here, but I think they’re much bigger than baseball.

3. CLOWNINGAROUND - Nov 25, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Maybe players should not have an agent and take what they get.
    you ALL sound like CLOWNS.

4. CLOWNINGAROUND - Nov 25, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Maybe players should not have an agent and take what they get.
    you ALL sound like CLOWNS.

5. Kevin S. - Nov 25, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Johnny Damon wants to sign with the Yankees alright, but he wants to sign on his terms – a long-term deal. Just like four years ago, he’s going to find that he wanted his old team more than they wanted him, and he’ll chase the money elsewhere. That’s his right, of course, and I’ll wish him the best wherever he gets his three-year contract from. It certainly won’t be the Bronx, though.

6. willmose - Nov 25, 2009 at 3:36 PM

It’s called professional baseball because players play for money. Every MLB player should get as much as he can. If Damon wants to sign with the Yankees, it could happen in a heartbeat, all he has to do is fire Boras, and tell Cashman he’ll sign a one year deal for a million five.

7. YANKEES1996 - Nov 25, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Look, Johnny Damon wants to sell his services to the New York Yankees and we could use his services, as the buyers however the Yankees are going to come up with a set of terms and he either agrees or doesn’t. The Yankees can let Matsui go, sign Holliday and Lackey and that should be enough. If Johnny Damon wants more than 2 years then he is going to have to play outside of Yankee Stadium. What Johnny Damon should do is look at his birth certificate and get Scott Boras under control before he ruins something that Damon says he wants to happen. If I am not mistaken Scott Boras works FOR Johnny Damon not the other way around.

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB