Nov 25, 2009, 8:55 AM EDT
Johnny Damon, speaking to the press at a light switch-flipping event at the Empire State Building yesterday:
“I know what’s here in New York – you have the new Stadium, you have
the great coaches, you have the great players. You guys
just have to tell Cash to get things going with me. I’m up for it.”
I don’t mean to beat this theme to death, and to be sure, Damon was likely just joking around with the press a bit yesterday, but it makes absolutely no sense to me that Damon is sticking with Scott Boras this winter.
Damon wants to sign now. Boras likes to wait as long as possible. Damon obviously wants to sign with a certain team. Boras likes to play the field. Damon is a leftfielder. Boras’ top free agent this winter is a better leftfielder who would clearly like to have the Yankees bidding on him, either in earnest, or to simply jack his price up to other teams.
There may be dynamics in the Boras-Damon we know nothing about. Loyalty. A real game plan that is totally at odds with Damon’s current statements. But as things presently stand, there is nothing to suggest that Damon’s interests are best served by the usual Scott Boras
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead