Nov 25, 2009, 8:00 AM EST
And now for your daily Roy Halladay rumor. This one, from Mark Feinsand and Bill Madden of the Daily News, sounds a bit bolder than your usual “Team X may be considering possibly maybe potentially trading for Roy Halladay” stuff:
The Red Sox are “putting on a full-court press” to acquire Roy Halladay, according to a source, and are hoping to add the former Cy Young winner to the top of their rotation to go with Josh Beckett and Jon Lester.
“They would love to get it wrapped up before the winter meetings (beginning Dec. 7),” the source said of the Red Sox, who made a big push to deal for Halladay last summer.
The Red Sox package for Halladay would likely start with Clay Buchholz and would possibly include pitching/shortstop prospect Casey Kelly.
The Sox landing Halladay in the next week would shake the Yankees the hell out of their “we’re gonna wait and see” approach, wouldn’t it? I mean, if that trade gets made, is there any chance in the world that Brian Cashman doesn’t immediately call John Lackey’s agent and offer him a gabillion dollars?
I mean, that would be like the Kaiser not doing anything after the Royal Navy built the HMS Dreadnought. It would be like Kennedy letting the Russians keep their missiles in Cuba back in ’62. It would be like Walter not responding when the Nihilists peed on The Dude’s rug. If the Red Sox trade for Halladay, they’ll be drawing a line in the sand, Dude, and such aggression can not be allowed to stand.
- David Ortiz and Robinson Cano give their Super Bowl XLIX predictions 0
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 7
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 20
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 106
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (106)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)