Nov 25, 2009, 8:00 AM EDT
And now for your daily Roy Halladay rumor. This one, from Mark Feinsand and Bill Madden of the Daily News, sounds a bit bolder than your usual “Team X may be considering possibly maybe potentially trading for Roy Halladay” stuff:
The Red Sox are “putting on a full-court press” to acquire Roy Halladay, according to a source, and are hoping to add the former Cy Young winner to the top of their rotation to go with Josh Beckett and Jon Lester.
“They would love to get it wrapped up before the winter meetings (beginning Dec. 7),” the source said of the Red Sox, who made a big push to deal for Halladay last summer.
The Red Sox package for Halladay would likely start with Clay Buchholz and would possibly include pitching/shortstop prospect Casey Kelly.
The Sox landing Halladay in the next week would shake the Yankees the hell out of their “we’re gonna wait and see” approach, wouldn’t it? I mean, if that trade gets made, is there any chance in the world that Brian Cashman doesn’t immediately call John Lackey’s agent and offer him a gabillion dollars?
I mean, that would be like the Kaiser not doing anything after the Royal Navy built the HMS Dreadnought. It would be like Kennedy letting the Russians keep their missiles in Cuba back in ’62. It would be like Walter not responding when the Nihilists peed on The Dude’s rug. If the Red Sox trade for Halladay, they’ll be drawing a line in the sand, Dude, and such aggression can not be allowed to stand.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)