Nov 25, 2009, 8:00 AM EDT
And now for your daily Roy Halladay rumor. This one, from Mark Feinsand and Bill Madden of the Daily News, sounds a bit bolder than your usual “Team X may be considering possibly maybe potentially trading for Roy Halladay” stuff:
The Red Sox are “putting on a full-court press” to acquire Roy Halladay, according to a source, and are hoping to add the former Cy Young winner to the top of their rotation to go with Josh Beckett and Jon Lester.
“They would love to get it wrapped up before the winter meetings (beginning Dec. 7),” the source said of the Red Sox, who made a big push to deal for Halladay last summer.
The Red Sox package for Halladay would likely start with Clay Buchholz and would possibly include pitching/shortstop prospect Casey Kelly.
The Sox landing Halladay in the next week would shake the Yankees the hell out of their “we’re gonna wait and see” approach, wouldn’t it? I mean, if that trade gets made, is there any chance in the world that Brian Cashman doesn’t immediately call John Lackey’s agent and offer him a gabillion dollars?
I mean, that would be like the Kaiser not doing anything after the Royal Navy built the HMS Dreadnought. It would be like Kennedy letting the Russians keep their missiles in Cuba back in ’62. It would be like Walter not responding when the Nihilists peed on The Dude’s rug. If the Red Sox trade for Halladay, they’ll be drawing a line in the sand, Dude, and such aggression can not be allowed to stand.
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 216
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 44
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (216)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)