Nov 25, 2009, 8:00 AM EDT
And now for your daily Roy Halladay rumor. This one, from Mark Feinsand and Bill Madden of the Daily News, sounds a bit bolder than your usual “Team X may be considering possibly maybe potentially trading for Roy Halladay” stuff:
The Red Sox are “putting on a full-court press” to acquire Roy Halladay, according to a source, and are hoping to add the former Cy Young winner to the top of their rotation to go with Josh Beckett and Jon Lester.
“They would love to get it wrapped up before the winter meetings (beginning Dec. 7),” the source said of the Red Sox, who made a big push to deal for Halladay last summer.
The Red Sox package for Halladay would likely start with Clay Buchholz and would possibly include pitching/shortstop prospect Casey Kelly.
The Sox landing Halladay in the next week would shake the Yankees the hell out of their “we’re gonna wait and see” approach, wouldn’t it? I mean, if that trade gets made, is there any chance in the world that Brian Cashman doesn’t immediately call John Lackey’s agent and offer him a gabillion dollars?
I mean, that would be like the Kaiser not doing anything after the Royal Navy built the HMS Dreadnought. It would be like Kennedy letting the Russians keep their missiles in Cuba back in ’62. It would be like Walter not responding when the Nihilists peed on The Dude’s rug. If the Red Sox trade for Halladay, they’ll be drawing a line in the sand, Dude, and such aggression can not be allowed to stand.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 21
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (98)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)