The Red Sox "putting on a full court press" for Halladay

Nov 25, 2009, 8:00 AM EST

And now for your daily Roy Halladay rumor. This one, from Mark Feinsand and Bill Madden of the Daily News, sounds a bit bolder than your usual “Team X may be considering possibly maybe potentially trading for Roy Halladay” stuff:

The Red Sox are “putting on a full-court press” to acquire Roy Halladay, according to a source, and are hoping to add the former Cy Young winner to the top of their rotation to go with Josh Beckett and Jon Lester.

“They would love to get it wrapped up before the winter meetings (beginning Dec. 7),” the source said of the Red Sox, who made a big push to deal for Halladay last summer.

The Red Sox package for Halladay would likely start with Clay Buchholz and would possibly include pitching/shortstop prospect Casey Kelly.

The Sox landing Halladay in the next week would shake the Yankees the hell out of their “we’re gonna wait and see” approach, wouldn’t it?  I mean, if that trade gets made, is there any chance in the world that Brian Cashman doesn’t immediately call John Lackey’s agent and offer him a gabillion dollars?

I mean, that would be like the Kaiser not doing anything after the Royal Navy built the HMS Dreadnought.  It would be like Kennedy letting the Russians keep their missiles in Cuba back in ’62. It would be like Walter not responding when the Nihilists peed on The Dude’s rug.  If the Red Sox trade for Halladay, they’ll be drawing a line in the sand, Dude, and such aggression can not be allowed to stand.

1. Old Gator - Nov 25, 2009 at 2:35 PM

And oh Sublime Tathagata, I can’t believe I missed this: if the Beanbags beat out the Dodgers for Halladay, we can all chime in with: “The revolution’s over, McCourt – the bums lost!”

2. Mode - Nov 25, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Old Gator and EvilEmpireE2009. I can tell by the writing you are the same person. Why do you comment under 2 different names??

3. Really? - Nov 25, 2009 at 3:01 PM

What A Douche

4. Old Gator - Nov 25, 2009 at 4:56 PM

I do hope that (a) you’re either kidding or (b) just trying to embarrass EvilEmpire. Otherwise, your level of skill at rhetorical and stylistic analysis might favor the monastic life.

5. Mode - Nov 25, 2009 at 6:43 PM

a) of course. I was amazed at the canyon of difference between the comments and thought I’d takea crack at humor. Oh well, I tried.

6. XTrust_No1X - Nov 26, 2009 at 1:20 AM

I have to get a laugh with the Redsox organization. As soon as the New York Yankees just mention that Brian Cashman has contacted the Blue Jays ablout obtaining the Blue Jays Allstar pitcher, Roy Halladay, the Redsox have to run around like a chicken without a head, willing to trade what few blue chipa that the Redsox have in their poor farm system. Meanwhile, the New Yankees farm system is one of the very best, if not the very best farm system in MLB, and the Yankees are over-stocked with blue chip players that every single other team are just dying to get from the Yankees. I guess, when the Yankees say jump, the Redsox ask how high! What a bunch of losers. hahaha. If the 27 time, World Series Champions, the Legendary New York Yankees where really serious about trading for Roy Halladay, he will be a New York Yankee. Because, every single Player rep will come to the Yankees with all the other offers to see if the Yankees will make a better counter offer. The Yankees are the last team every single player rep visits, cause they know their player that they rep will get the very best deal from the New York Yankees. The ace up the sleeve that the New York Yankees have is that every single MLB player wants to wear the Famous Yankees pinstripes, probably since they were little kids. And, only the best get to put on the pinstripes. So, it goes to say, that Roy Hallday will be wearing Yankees pinstripes and sitting in the New York Yankees dugout next to his best friend, AJ Burnett. And, along side Halladay, will also be other new additions in this off-season Yankees shopping spree, like John Lackey, Clone Figgins, Vernon Wells and returnees Johnny Damon and the Future Hall of Famer Andy “Mr Automatic” Pettite. Then, joining the Yankees in the next off-season, after Andy Pettite retires at the end of the 2010 season, will be the Legendary New York Yankees next big off-season signing in Cliff Lee. Also, maybe even Joe Mauer. Then, the Yankees rotation will be complete, CC Sabathia, Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, AJ Burnett, and John Lackey. Then, the Yankees will sign Derek Jeter to a huge contract extention where it will match the remaining years of A-Rod, keeping both in Yankees pinstripes until they retire. The YES Network vault will be very busy in the next few years, but, after all, what is money, when it comes to giving the greatest fans in the world, The New York Yankees Universe what they want, another extended Yankees Dynasty! And, being God is a full pledge member of the Yankees Universe, I’m sure he will help make it happen, by making sure the Yankees get all the layers they require. Hey Brian Cashman!!! Make this 2009 off-season a great shopping year for the Yankees, so we can be in first place from the first at bat in the very first game to the final pitch in the final winning game in the 2010 World Series next November! Go Yankees!!! Money is NO OBJECT. We, the New York Yankees Universe are Entitled to watching the Very Best Team year in and year out, and Mr Steinbrenner, the greatest owner in MLB history will make sure we get what we want, another Ticker Tape Parade down the Canyon of Heroes and another World Series Trophy!

7. MikePapaNY - Nov 26, 2009 at 11:38 AM

I couldn’t have said it better myself. Go Yankees!

8. Old Gator - Nov 26, 2009 at 10:49 PM

In that case I must apologize for my own ambivalence. I’m not getting any younger, and I need the Coen Brothers as badly as I need my Aricept. As far as Dr. Evil Empire, I realize that you do understand, after all, how doctrinaire the true Borg fan sounds, especially the ex-Ceylons. You can feel free to cancel your Olympic Airlines reservation to Mount Athos.

9. jim - Nov 26, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Yanks don’t need Halladay, resign pettitte for a year, then you have cc, aj, joba and hughes not to mention wang will be coming back and hopefully be the 19 game winner he was the 2 years before he got hurt. It’s going to be a minimum of Bucholz and Ellsbury for Halladay, the Jays would be dumb to accept anything less, personally I hope the get him cause it will just weaken the overall team if they do

10. Hasdrubal - Nov 27, 2009 at 8:11 AM

Do I smell the Sux trying to buy a championship?

11. Hasdrubal - Nov 27, 2009 at 8:18 AM

So why is it okay with Yankee haters if another team throws money, and players, to land a hiqh priced player like Halladay? When the Yankees do it the haters say it’s bad for sports. When another team does it, it’s called leveling the playing field.

12. rocketman35 - Nov 27, 2009 at 3:30 PM

I have been reading all of this…lol,lol and I must say I am not buying it,
    Bill Madden…has it in for The Yankees….he always has made in the past,negative comments to The Yankees…and Pined up Stories..like this…and they always turned out…the opposite..as usual.
    I think Think The Red Sox are intrested in Halladay ,but at a lower level,it isnt exactly on their agenda list at the moment,
    But neitherless to say they are intrested in His Services,
    The Yankees…as far as the rumor and talk buzzing..lately…have been in contact with the Blue Jays GM,and Halladay s Agent….Per Yankees GM Cashman,
    I honestly believe ,when all is said and done..he will be a Yankee and the Yankees always get their Man…..everybody in Baseball knows this!!!
    A little note to the wise..and common sense..noone has even mentioned the fact….A.J.Burnett…and Roy Halladay are good friends and former Team Mates on The BlueJays?!…intresting huh?!
    It gets better…..Rumor has it….A.J. Talked to Halladay several times about what life is like Playing in New York..and for The Yankees….and also about the experience…and what it feels like.
    why??
    Halladay asked Burnett…recently..in the last 2 weeks…and also…he was impressed about the Yankees World Championship run and the Possiblities…offered.
    He has stated he wants to win now and for a heavily favored Team.
    Answer…The New York Yankees…2009 World Champions!!!!
    They will ask Halladay and offer a good trade to the Blue Jays GM,
    Something will get worked out..iam sure…this article..is non-sense…another Madden Propaganda…and other done to drive the Price and intrest in Halladay..makes sense….but everyone knows…what it is..and who..makes the trade and contract extension agreement with Halladay…..it will be The Yankees….they have the Power Cash available..on asking…in minutes…and then Prospects and certin players..they would be willing to part with.
    lets see how this falls into play….before judgement is made…..GO YANKEES!!!

13. GLEN - Nov 28, 2009 at 12:58 PM

yankees suck 4ever!!newyork period should be blown up,you all suck .

14. XTrust_No1X - Nov 30, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Hey Glen, shouldn’t you be doing your middleschool homework, instead of posting nonsense on a grownups message board? What’s the matter, your mommy & daddy not giving you any attention? I just wish every message board on the internet would start enforcing a age restriction. Unless you are from the Baby Boomer or the Greatest Generations, you’re not allowed to post. Because the stupidiest people on the face of the Earth start with Generation X (X-stands for Extra Stupid), then works it’s way down to Generation Y (Y -stands for Why where you born?)and so on. You Glen, from the way you write, have a single digit IQ, so PLEASE, don’t address any message board with your moronic statements, or until you reach a higher triple digit IQ like the rest of humanity!

15. JimC. - Dec 3, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Red Sox should make the trade now. Bucholtz is ok and Kelly is maybe. Do it, because if the Yankees get him, The Sox can wait till next year.

16. Ladyfan - Dec 9, 2009 at 3:31 PM

“God is a full fledged member of the Yankee universe”? And Yankee fans feel picked on because people hate them . . . .wow . . . wonder why . . .
    I hope God was reading this blog, though I imagine He has better things to do with his time. Pride goeth before a fall, my Yankee friend . . . .
    And Glen, for GOODNESS sakes, don’t try to post to a sports blog when you are drunk or high – all you did is make a fool of yourself.

17. Pacentro - Dec 9, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Real intelligent post AHOLE. And how are things in Boston?

18. RealSox - Dec 10, 2009 at 9:14 AM

The Yankees have the best farm system in baseball? Now I know you are drunk! They have no farm system that is why they must pay so much for everything and wait for players to hit free agency. You best be checking your facts moron.

19. RealSox - Dec 10, 2009 at 9:14 AM

20. dpurcell - Dec 10, 2009 at 9:46 AM

come on you lozzer!!~!

21. dpurcell - Dec 10, 2009 at 9:46 AM

come on you lozzer!!~!

22. Mauro - Dec 10, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Question: Wich one of the Yankess teams(by the cold numbers) is better; the one that lost to Arizona in `01 or the one that won this year?
    Remember guys, in American league the rule says 10 men against 10 men..40 me roster against 40 men roster
    We are not in Soccer where you can still play missing two players….
    The yankees will be the biggest losser again because their Evil Empire doesn’t know how to deal with so many stars…So many stars means MUCHO PROBLEMA..
    Gracias.,……Mauro

23. Titus Powsey - Jan 16, 2010 at 12:30 PM

It appears that you have placed a lot of effort into your article and I require more of these on the net these days. I sincerely got a kick out of your post. I don’t really have much to say in response, I only wanted to comment to reply wonderful work.

24. SHOE LIFTS - Jan 29, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Being smaller is no crime, if everyone else around you is taller, it is obvious you would want to become taller as well.

25. Sports headlines - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Aw, this was a really quality post. In theory I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real effort to make a good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and never seem to get something done.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4705)