Nov 25, 2009, 3:20 PM EDT
Andruw Jones and the White Sox have agreed to a one-year deal worth $500,000 in guarantees and another $1 million in potential incentives, with general manager Ken Williams making it very clear that the five-time All-Star is being brought in as a bench player:
This is an opportunity to add a power bat to the roster while improving our outfield depth. With the addition of Andruw, Mark Kotsay and Omar Vizquel, we feel our bench is taking shape to be a strong asset heading into the 2010 season.
Jones, Vizquel, and Kotsay have combined for 48 seasons, 6,177 games, and 25,290 plate appearances in the big leagues, so if nothing else the White Sox will have the most experienced bench in baseball next year.
Released by the Dodgers last winter despite still being owed $15 million, Jones latched on with the Rangers, made the team out of spring training, and turned heads by hitting .344/.523/.781 in April as a part-time player.
Unfortunately that was basically the extent of his comeback, as Jones batted just .197/.293/.418 in 287 plate appearances from May 1 through the end of the season. He still has plenty of power, but the 10-time Gold Glover can no longer play center field regularly and has hit just .207/.304/.393 over the past three seasons.
Taking a flier on Jones isn’t a bad idea for just $500,000 and he has some uses as a bench player, but don’t expect a return to form following one of the most sudden collapses in baseball history. He looked like a potential Hall of Famer through age 29 and is now just trying to hang onto a roster spot at age 32.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- Who really owns a home run ball? 58
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)