Nov 26, 2009, 11:27 AM EDT
I told you something could happen today: The Jays signed shortstop Alex Gonzalez to a one year, $2.75 million deal with an option for 2011. The fact that they did this one day after signing John McDonald is, well, curious. Starting McDonald at short would be dumb, but so too is giving him a multi-year deal to be a utility infielder.
Just wait: tomorrow they’ll re-sign Scutaro to a five year deal. Would make about as much sense.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 17
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 56
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 113
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 106
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 82
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (113)