Nov 27, 2009, 3:02 PM EST
Roberto Alomar, Barry Larkin, Edgar Martinez and Fred McGriff highlight the list of 15 newcomers on the Hall of Fame ballot released on Friday.
Also on the ballot for the first, and likely last, time are Kevin Appier, Ellis Burks, Andres Galarraga, Pat Hentgen, Mike Jackson, Eric Karros, Ray Lankford, Shane Reynolds, David Segui, Robin Ventura and Todd Zeile.
Only the first four newcomers figure to receive the five percent of the vote needed to stay on the ballot for 2011. Perhaps one member of the group will even make it in, though it seems unlikely. Alomar and Larkin are definitely well above the Hall of Fame standards for middle infielders, but both have enough holes in their candidacy that it seems likely they’ll have to wait for enshrinement.
That definitely bodes well for holdover candidates Andre Dawson and Bert Blyleven. With 75 percent needed for enshrinement, Dawson was named on 67 percent of the ballots last year and Blyleven on 62.7 percent.
The other returnees, with their 2009 share of the vote, are: Lee Smith (44.5), Jack Morris (44), Tim Raines (22.6), Mark McGwire (21.9), Alan Trammell (17.4), Dave Parker (15.0), Don Mattingly (11.9), Dale Murphy (11.5) and Harold Baines (5.9).
We’ll have more on all of the new candidates over the next month. The results from the current ballot will be announced Jan. 6.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 129
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 244
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (250)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)