Nov 27, 2009, 9:50 AM EDT
Former Padres GM Kevin Towers wants to serve as an advisor to an AL team this year so as to better position himself for any general manager openings that may pop up in the future. According to Newsday’s Ken Davidoff, it looks like he may land with the Yankees. He’s meeting with them, the Red Sox and the Mariners at the Winter Meetings in Indianapolis, but he’s got a close relationship with Cashman so the Bronx makes sense.
Towers has been lauded for being a good talent evaluator and an excellent dumpster diver. Given that the Yankees tend not to sweat whether raw prospects have what it takes and given that they don’t do all that much bargain shopping, those skills won’t be all that necessary in New York. Still, it’s nice to have a smart guy’s input, even if you’re the Yankees, so picking Towers up would be a good thing.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)