Nov 27, 2009, 9:50 AM EDT
Former Padres GM Kevin Towers wants to serve as an advisor to an AL team this year so as to better position himself for any general manager openings that may pop up in the future. According to Newsday’s Ken Davidoff, it looks like he may land with the Yankees. He’s meeting with them, the Red Sox and the Mariners at the Winter Meetings in Indianapolis, but he’s got a close relationship with Cashman so the Bronx makes sense.
Towers has been lauded for being a good talent evaluator and an excellent dumpster diver. Given that the Yankees tend not to sweat whether raw prospects have what it takes and given that they don’t do all that much bargain shopping, those skills won’t be all that necessary in New York. Still, it’s nice to have a smart guy’s input, even if you’re the Yankees, so picking Towers up would be a good thing.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)