Nov 27, 2009, 12:35 PM EDT
Sammy Sosa has been ordered to appear in a Dominican Republic court next week after being sued for $203,000 by a businessman who claims that the former Cubs star failed to pay him for various services. Here’s more from the Associated Press:
Carim Abu Nabaa alleges that Sosa has not paid him a commission of $150,000 on a house sale, $43,000 for a luxury watch, and $10,000 for getting Reggaeton singer Don Omar to perform at Sosa’s 41st birthday party.
What’s the old saying? You know a realtor is good when he can get you watches and book the entertainment for birthday parties. Or something like that. Amazingly, none of that is even my favorite part of the story. This is: Abu Nabaa claims that he’s owed a five percent commission for helping Sosa sell a $3 million house in the Dominican Republic to … Vin Diesel.
Between this lawsuit and showing up at the Latin Grammy awards looking like a zombie Sosa has been in the news quite a bit this month for a retired guy. Vin Diesel was not available for comment. Probably.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)