Nov 27, 2009, 12:35 PM EDT
Sammy Sosa has been ordered to appear in a Dominican Republic court next week after being sued for $203,000 by a businessman who claims that the former Cubs star failed to pay him for various services. Here’s more from the Associated Press:
Carim Abu Nabaa alleges that Sosa has not paid him a commission of $150,000 on a house sale, $43,000 for a luxury watch, and $10,000 for getting Reggaeton singer Don Omar to perform at Sosa’s 41st birthday party.
What’s the old saying? You know a realtor is good when he can get you watches and book the entertainment for birthday parties. Or something like that. Amazingly, none of that is even my favorite part of the story. This is: Abu Nabaa claims that he’s owed a five percent commission for helping Sosa sell a $3 million house in the Dominican Republic to … Vin Diesel.
Between this lawsuit and showing up at the Latin Grammy awards looking like a zombie Sosa has been in the news quite a bit this month for a retired guy. Vin Diesel was not available for comment. Probably.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 24
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 16
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)