Nov 27, 2009, 12:35 PM EDT
Sammy Sosa has been ordered to appear in a Dominican Republic court next week after being sued for $203,000 by a businessman who claims that the former Cubs star failed to pay him for various services. Here’s more from the Associated Press:
Carim Abu Nabaa alleges that Sosa has not paid him a commission of $150,000 on a house sale, $43,000 for a luxury watch, and $10,000 for getting Reggaeton singer Don Omar to perform at Sosa’s 41st birthday party.
What’s the old saying? You know a realtor is good when he can get you watches and book the entertainment for birthday parties. Or something like that. Amazingly, none of that is even my favorite part of the story. This is: Abu Nabaa claims that he’s owed a five percent commission for helping Sosa sell a $3 million house in the Dominican Republic to … Vin Diesel.
Between this lawsuit and showing up at the Latin Grammy awards looking like a zombie Sosa has been in the news quite a bit this month for a retired guy. Vin Diesel was not available for comment. Probably.
- Nationals place Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with neck tightness 2
- Jerry Dior, designer of MLB’s iconic logo, has passed away 9
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 118
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 16
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 78
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (119)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (85)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (79)