Nov 27, 2009, 12:35 PM EST
Sammy Sosa has been ordered to appear in a Dominican Republic court next week after being sued for $203,000 by a businessman who claims that the former Cubs star failed to pay him for various services. Here’s more from the Associated Press:
Carim Abu Nabaa alleges that Sosa has not paid him a commission of $150,000 on a house sale, $43,000 for a luxury watch, and $10,000 for getting Reggaeton singer Don Omar to perform at Sosa’s 41st birthday party.
What’s the old saying? You know a realtor is good when he can get you watches and book the entertainment for birthday parties. Or something like that. Amazingly, none of that is even my favorite part of the story. This is: Abu Nabaa claims that he’s owed a five percent commission for helping Sosa sell a $3 million house in the Dominican Republic to … Vin Diesel.
Between this lawsuit and showing up at the Latin Grammy awards looking like a zombie Sosa has been in the news quite a bit this month for a retired guy. Vin Diesel was not available for comment. Probably.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 8
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (94)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (83)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)