Nov 28, 2009, 10:49 AM EDT
Augusto Cardenas, a Venezuelan baseball writer from Diario Panorama, writes that the Dodgers, Mariners, Rangers and Red Sox are among the teams interested in free agent infielder Marco Scutaro.
According to a series of “tweets” by Cardenas, Scutaro
would prefer to sign with the Red Sox or Dodgers, as he would have a
better chance of reaching the playoffs. Scutaro said the Dodgers want
him to play second base, while the Red Sox have approached him about
their vacancy at shortstop. Others, according to Cardenas, would want him to play third base, though a specific team wasn’t mentioned.
Scutaro hasn’t ruled out returning
to the Blue Jays, but he is more likely to get a multi-year contract
from another club. Toronto is expected to offer the 34-year-old
arbitration next week.
If Cardenas‘ name sounds familiar, it should. He was the one who ruffled some feathers by breaking the Erik Bedard-to-Seattle trade two years ago. This report is much less controversial, of course, since he talked to the subject in question and the Red Sox and Dodgers are pretty logical landing spots for Scutaro.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)