Nov 28, 2009, 1:35 PM EDT
Jose Contreras may still pitch in Japan, but it probably won’t be for the Softbank Hawks. According to Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker, citing a Nikkan Sports report, the Hawks have moved on from Contreras, citing a roster crunch and uncertainty about what role he would play with the club.
According to the report, SoftBank could re-consider Contreras in the event that imports Brian Falkenborg, D.J. Houlton and Justin Germano aren’t retained or if the staff suffers an injury during the season.
It’s hard to believe that Softbank
would rather have three pitchers who combined for a 5.22 ERA in the
majors as opposed to Contreras, so the Hawks may be hoping he’ll bring
his asking price down.
However, if negotiations have truly
broken down, Contreras’ next best bet may be with the Hiroshima Carp,
based on the proximity to his son’s school, though it is not known if they have interest.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 2
- The Lester trade is a win-win 79
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 144
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (144)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (119)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)