Nov 29, 2009, 11:25 AM EDT
In his Sunday “Whispers” column, Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune writes that the Cubs are serious about acquiring Curtis Granderson from the Tigers but have made it known that they will not give up closer Carlos Marmol or prospect shortstop Starlin Castro.
Rogers speculates that the Tigers could ask for 23-year-old
right-hander Andrew Cashner and prospect third baseman Josh Vitters instead.
Castro was recently named the organization’s top prospect by Baseball America,
while Vitters ranked third and Cashner fourth. Due in part to his
performance during the Arizona Fall League (.376 batting average in 26
games), Castro has become one of the most talked about prospects in the game. With this week’s story in the Chicago Tribune that the Cubs are preparing Ryan Theriot for a move to second base, it’s clear that Castro is viewed as Chicago’s shortstop of the future.
In other news from Sunday’s column, scouts from the Tigers and other American League
teams are looking at infielder-outfielder Jake Fox. Fox, 27, batted
.259/.311/.468 with 11 home runs and 44 RBI in 216 at-bats for the Cubs
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 29
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 236
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (236)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)