Nov 29, 2009, 11:25 AM EST
In his Sunday “Whispers” column, Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune writes that the Cubs are serious about acquiring Curtis Granderson from the Tigers but have made it known that they will not give up closer Carlos Marmol or prospect shortstop Starlin Castro.
Rogers speculates that the Tigers could ask for 23-year-old
right-hander Andrew Cashner and prospect third baseman Josh Vitters instead.
Castro was recently named the organization’s top prospect by Baseball America,
while Vitters ranked third and Cashner fourth. Due in part to his
performance during the Arizona Fall League (.376 batting average in 26
games), Castro has become one of the most talked about prospects in the game. With this week’s story in the Chicago Tribune that the Cubs are preparing Ryan Theriot for a move to second base, it’s clear that Castro is viewed as Chicago’s shortstop of the future.
In other news from Sunday’s column, scouts from the Tigers and other American League
teams are looking at infielder-outfielder Jake Fox. Fox, 27, batted
.259/.311/.468 with 11 home runs and 44 RBI in 216 at-bats for the Cubs
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (271)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)