Nov 29, 2009, 11:25 AM EDT
In his Sunday “Whispers” column, Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune writes that the Cubs are serious about acquiring Curtis Granderson from the Tigers but have made it known that they will not give up closer Carlos Marmol or prospect shortstop Starlin Castro.
Rogers speculates that the Tigers could ask for 23-year-old
right-hander Andrew Cashner and prospect third baseman Josh Vitters instead.
Castro was recently named the organization’s top prospect by Baseball America,
while Vitters ranked third and Cashner fourth. Due in part to his
performance during the Arizona Fall League (.376 batting average in 26
games), Castro has become one of the most talked about prospects in the game. With this week’s story in the Chicago Tribune that the Cubs are preparing Ryan Theriot for a move to second base, it’s clear that Castro is viewed as Chicago’s shortstop of the future.
In other news from Sunday’s column, scouts from the Tigers and other American League
teams are looking at infielder-outfielder Jake Fox. Fox, 27, batted
.259/.311/.468 with 11 home runs and 44 RBI in 216 at-bats for the Cubs
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)