Nov 29, 2009, 11:25 AM EDT
In his Sunday “Whispers” column, Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune writes that the Cubs are serious about acquiring Curtis Granderson from the Tigers but have made it known that they will not give up closer Carlos Marmol or prospect shortstop Starlin Castro.
Rogers speculates that the Tigers could ask for 23-year-old
right-hander Andrew Cashner and prospect third baseman Josh Vitters instead.
Castro was recently named the organization’s top prospect by Baseball America,
while Vitters ranked third and Cashner fourth. Due in part to his
performance during the Arizona Fall League (.376 batting average in 26
games), Castro has become one of the most talked about prospects in the game. With this week’s story in the Chicago Tribune that the Cubs are preparing Ryan Theriot for a move to second base, it’s clear that Castro is viewed as Chicago’s shortstop of the future.
In other news from Sunday’s column, scouts from the Tigers and other American League
teams are looking at infielder-outfielder Jake Fox. Fox, 27, batted
.259/.311/.468 with 11 home runs and 44 RBI in 216 at-bats for the Cubs
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 77
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 61
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)