Nov 29, 2009, 9:24 AM EST
Bill Madden of the New York Daily News put together a Thanksgiving themed “Top 10 Baseball Turkeys” of 2009.
If you really care, he names former Mets VP of player development Tony
Bernazard as the top turkey, however the most interesting passage was
about Marlins president David Samson, who finished sixth on his list:
Marlins president obviously has no shame. After finally succeeding in
a new taxpayer-funded stadium for the Marlins in downtown Miami –
supposedly enabling the Marlins to have the financial means to keep
their star players – Samson demonstrated he has no intention of doing
that when he refused to give his best pitcher, Josh Johnson, a
four-year extension. Now it also looks as if Hanley Ramirez won’t ever
see that new stadium in a Marlins uniform as the Red Sox, who let
incumbent Alex Gonzalez go, are reportedly engaged in talks with
Florida about reacquiring the All-Star shortstop.
Reportedly can mean a lot of things.
It can mean he read it in his own newspaper. Or perhaps another
newspaper. It could mean he read it on someone’s blog. Or perhaps in
the comments’ section of said blog. Or it could mean he made
it up. The fact is that Ramirez is signed through 2014 at a very
reasonable cost, even for Florida. He’s not going anywhere.
Update: And another silly Hot Stove rumor bites the dust.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)