Nov 29, 2009, 9:24 AM EDT
Bill Madden of the New York Daily News put together a Thanksgiving themed “Top 10 Baseball Turkeys” of 2009.
If you really care, he names former Mets VP of player development Tony
Bernazard as the top turkey, however the most interesting passage was
about Marlins president David Samson, who finished sixth on his list:
Marlins president obviously has no shame. After finally succeeding in
a new taxpayer-funded stadium for the Marlins in downtown Miami –
supposedly enabling the Marlins to have the financial means to keep
their star players – Samson demonstrated he has no intention of doing
that when he refused to give his best pitcher, Josh Johnson, a
four-year extension. Now it also looks as if Hanley Ramirez won’t ever
see that new stadium in a Marlins uniform as the Red Sox, who let
incumbent Alex Gonzalez go, are reportedly engaged in talks with
Florida about reacquiring the All-Star shortstop.
Reportedly can mean a lot of things.
It can mean he read it in his own newspaper. Or perhaps another
newspaper. It could mean he read it on someone’s blog. Or perhaps in
the comments’ section of said blog. Or it could mean he made
it up. The fact is that Ramirez is signed through 2014 at a very
reasonable cost, even for Florida. He’s not going anywhere.
Update: And another silly Hot Stove rumor bites the dust.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 1
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 4
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 52
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 30
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (265)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)