Nov 29, 2009, 9:24 AM EDT
Bill Madden of the New York Daily News put together a Thanksgiving themed “Top 10 Baseball Turkeys” of 2009.
If you really care, he names former Mets VP of player development Tony
Bernazard as the top turkey, however the most interesting passage was
about Marlins president David Samson, who finished sixth on his list:
Marlins president obviously has no shame. After finally succeeding in
a new taxpayer-funded stadium for the Marlins in downtown Miami –
supposedly enabling the Marlins to have the financial means to keep
their star players – Samson demonstrated he has no intention of doing
that when he refused to give his best pitcher, Josh Johnson, a
four-year extension. Now it also looks as if Hanley Ramirez won’t ever
see that new stadium in a Marlins uniform as the Red Sox, who let
incumbent Alex Gonzalez go, are reportedly engaged in talks with
Florida about reacquiring the All-Star shortstop.
Reportedly can mean a lot of things.
It can mean he read it in his own newspaper. Or perhaps another
newspaper. It could mean he read it on someone’s blog. Or perhaps in
the comments’ section of said blog. Or it could mean he made
it up. The fact is that Ramirez is signed through 2014 at a very
reasonable cost, even for Florida. He’s not going anywhere.
Update: And another silly Hot Stove rumor bites the dust.
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 9
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 0
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 50
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 136
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 9
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 14
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 3
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (138)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)