Nov 29, 2009, 9:24 AM EST
Bill Madden of the New York Daily News put together a Thanksgiving themed “Top 10 Baseball Turkeys” of 2009.
If you really care, he names former Mets VP of player development Tony
Bernazard as the top turkey, however the most interesting passage was
about Marlins president David Samson, who finished sixth on his list:
Marlins president obviously has no shame. After finally succeeding in
a new taxpayer-funded stadium for the Marlins in downtown Miami -
supposedly enabling the Marlins to have the financial means to keep
their star players – Samson demonstrated he has no intention of doing
that when he refused to give his best pitcher, Josh Johnson, a
four-year extension. Now it also looks as if Hanley Ramirez won’t ever
see that new stadium in a Marlins uniform as the Red Sox, who let
incumbent Alex Gonzalez go, are reportedly engaged in talks with
Florida about reacquiring the All-Star shortstop.
Reportedly can mean a lot of things.
It can mean he read it in his own newspaper. Or perhaps another
newspaper. It could mean he read it on someone’s blog. Or perhaps in
the comments’ section of said blog. Or it could mean he made
it up. The fact is that Ramirez is signed through 2014 at a very
reasonable cost, even for Florida. He’s not going anywhere.
Update: And another silly Hot Stove rumor bites the dust.
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal 94
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (100)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (86)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)