Nov 29, 2009, 9:24 AM EDT
Bill Madden of the New York Daily News put together a Thanksgiving themed “Top 10 Baseball Turkeys” of 2009.
If you really care, he names former Mets VP of player development Tony
Bernazard as the top turkey, however the most interesting passage was
about Marlins president David Samson, who finished sixth on his list:
Marlins president obviously has no shame. After finally succeeding in
a new taxpayer-funded stadium for the Marlins in downtown Miami –
supposedly enabling the Marlins to have the financial means to keep
their star players – Samson demonstrated he has no intention of doing
that when he refused to give his best pitcher, Josh Johnson, a
four-year extension. Now it also looks as if Hanley Ramirez won’t ever
see that new stadium in a Marlins uniform as the Red Sox, who let
incumbent Alex Gonzalez go, are reportedly engaged in talks with
Florida about reacquiring the All-Star shortstop.
Reportedly can mean a lot of things.
It can mean he read it in his own newspaper. Or perhaps another
newspaper. It could mean he read it on someone’s blog. Or perhaps in
the comments’ section of said blog. Or it could mean he made
it up. The fact is that Ramirez is signed through 2014 at a very
reasonable cost, even for Florida. He’s not going anywhere.
Update: And another silly Hot Stove rumor bites the dust.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 33
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)