Circling the Bases: new and improved

Nov 30, 2009, 12:24 PM EST

Some of you may be wondering why I didn’t drop off and disappear at 11AM like I usually do. The reason: I have nowhere to drop off to.  I quit my legal job last week.  I also retired ShysterBall, the baseball blog I’ve written since 2007, most recently for the Hardball Times. Starting today I am full time with Circling the Bases, and will be posting more or less all day.  One fewer practicing lawyer in the world + more baseball blogging = a very, very good thing indeed, wouldn’t you agree? If you’re looking to give me a gift congratulating the move, I have some ideas. Though to be honest, I have no idea what I’d do with a briefcase given that I’ll be writing from my couch while wearing pajamas all day.

Anyway, the plan going forward: Aaron, Matthew, Bob, D.J. and I will be combining to ramp up and improve the Circling the Bases experience. The goal: to make CTB the place for all of your baseball news and analysis needs. One stop shopping, as it were. The place where you usually hear things first, and even if you don’t, the place where you come to get an enlightened, provocative or at the very least humorous take on the day’s doings.  And if none of that works for you, the place where you can yell at us as we try to do it.

There will be fun stuff ahead. In the short term: more posts. Next week: I’m going to the Winter Meetings, where I’m going to do my best to try and find out one-tenth of the stuff Rosenthal does and run up a hotel bar tab one-tenth the size of Billy Martin’s record from 1982. Even then I’m probably flirting with death.

Long term: we’re going to continue to build CTB into the best baseball blog on the web.  I hope you come along for the ride.

1. Jason @ IIATMS - Nov 30, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Let’s run this down:
    1) Quit your lawyering gig
    2) Become a full time baseball scribe
    3) Get paid to go to the Winter Meetings to see who you might recognize?
    Not liking you much today, Calcaterra. Not much at all.

2. Joe Tetreault - Nov 30, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Congratulations, he said, while restraining the green-eyed monster from having free reign.
    Seriously, good for you!

3. Josh - Nov 30, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Great news! Since FJM went out earlier this year, CTB has been the best place for humorous, clear thinking baseball analysis. I’ll be checking it even more times a day.

4. lar @ wezen-ball - Nov 30, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Hey Craig,
    Been away for family stuff all weekend (and now stuck at a conference all week) so I haven’t been able to give you the proper congratulations. So, congratulations! I’m looking forward to the new CTB (and very jealous of the lack of a day job *and* a free trip to Indianapolis). Good luck! I know I’ll be here everyday.

5. Stultus Magnus - Nov 30, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Craig,
    That’s great for you, congratulations.
    Again, I hope CTB will have a better mobile site that’s easier to read or that the RSS feeds will show the articles in full.

6. Will - Nov 30, 2009 at 1:29 PM

So, did you shave today, Craig?

7. Simon DelMonte - Nov 30, 2009 at 1:32 PM

If it helps, the winter meetings are in Indianapolis. Getting to go to Indianapolis for anything isn’t something I envy.

8. Old Gator - Nov 30, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Place for all your needs. One stop shopping. Sounds like the sportswriter’s answer to the immunodeficiency bubble. And whereas your voluntary withdrawal from the legal biz may have scored you a few extra karmic brownie points, depending upon how many years you spent as a lawyer your resident theologian here strongly suspects you’ve still got a couple of circuits of Purgatory awaiting you. Better do a lot of good with the rest of your time, bubba.

9. Craig Calcaterra - Nov 30, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Will: I did not shave, but I did shower. It’ll take me a while to get into the full swing of this.
    Stultus: we’re looking into everything re: feeds and stuff, and will be messing with a lot of look and feel improvements over the next few months.

10. Jason @ IIATMS - Nov 30, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Simon: Indy may not be glamorous or convenient… but it sure beats “work”, like the rest of us have to handle!

11. YankeesfanLen - Nov 30, 2009 at 2:24 PM

This seems like some version of MMIE. Guess you start with a small travel voucher for the 176 miles to Indy. Don’t sing “Give My Regards To Broadway” to Brian or he’ll wave the magic checkbook at you and everyone will be b@##$in’ and moanin’ all next year. Actually, that would be kind of fun.

12. The Common Man - Nov 30, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Congratulations again, Craig. May you continue to poke Yankee fans with a sharp stick and shred Roger Clemens to your heart’s delight. Today, you are the envy of bloggers (and probably lawyers) everywhere.

13. TF in Tampa - Nov 30, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Hey CC, like you I quit my day job, 5 mos now, working at my job really sucked. Unlike you, I can not find suitable work at competitive income levels. “This to shall pass”, soon I hope.
    I have throughly enjoyed, even looked forward to your posts and comments from all, especially during World Series time when Old Gator and John [Phillies in 5-6-7?, Mark My Words!!!] were playing tag with each other there for a while. All good guys, mone back with that chat, we all loved it.
    Craig, Congrats, and best of luck in the new FT position, now you can kick back and start telling all those lawyer jokes you’ve been holding back on. Got one for us?

14. TimberLee - Nov 30, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Happy to follow you here, Craig, after stumbling upon ShysterBall a while ago. I like your sense of humour and the fact that you can actually write, and even spell stuff. I’ll probably be checking on you every day – like Sants Claus.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester