Derek Jeter is SI's Sportsman of the Year

Nov 30, 2009, 11:25 AM EDT

Derek Jeter wasn’t the MVP of his own league in his own sport but, according to Sports Illustrated, he’s now the Sportsman of the Year:

“It’s unbelievable. It was completely unexpected. It came out of the
blue,” Jeter told The Associated Press during a break in the photo
shoot. “When I heard it, what can you say? It’s one of the greatest
honors you can achieve in sports.”

The 35-year-old Jeter is the first Bronx Bomber to be tapped for the
award that has been given out since 1954. Swimmer Michael Phelps was
last year’s recipient.

The Sportsman of the Year Award is something of a moving target, with weird zeitgeisty things having a lot to do with who wins it. Brett Favre won it a couple of years ago for “his perseverance and his passion,which, strangely enough, is one of the reasons everyone likes to hate on him today. The whole Red Sox team won it in 2004, putatively for historical reasons, though strangely enough the 2005 White Sox didn’t get it despite the fact that they broke a longer championship drought. It’s the sort of thing that makes one ask (heaven forbid) whether magazine sales have just as much to do with the award as athletic accomplishments do.

But it’s not just about on-the-field achievement, of course.  I think the best ever Sportsman of the Year Award came in 1987 when SI gave it to six different athletes, some known, some not-so-well known, citing their charitable efforts as “Athletes Who Care.”  This year SI cites Jeter’s philanthropic work as a big reason for the award.  If that was the main driver, as opposed to simply wanting a Yankee on the cover in a year with little in the way of monster stories, good for SI.

And no matter what SI’s motivation was, good for Derek Jeter.  I have my fun with him from time to time simply because it makes Yankee fanboys crazy, but he is a Sportsman in the truest sense of the term, and he is deserving.

1. Moshe Mandel - Nov 30, 2009 at 11:30 AM

I know I’m biased as a Yankee fan, but I think it was a good pick. His team won the World Series, and he should have finished 2nd in MVP voting. So a World Series title, and MVP-type season, tons of charitable stuff, one of the few remaining “clean stars” of his generation (we hope), I think it adds up. I guess it could have gone to Kobe, Federer, or Tebow, but I think Jeter was fairly worthy.

2. Mark Armour - Nov 30, 2009 at 11:46 AM

SI’s Sportsman of the Year has always been an excuse to celebrate sports in a way that SI deems appropriate. There are no strict rules, no analysis, 10 person ballot. And for that I thank them. For the most part, they have done a fine job. I am a Red Sox fan, but its hard to argue with Jeter.

3. TMW - Nov 30, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Manny Pacquiao was robbed.

4. Lady Tiger - Nov 30, 2009 at 12:37 PM

HOW ABOUT TIGER WOODS WIFE, SHE CAN SWING A 7 IRON, I HEAR.

5. sunshine2 - Nov 30, 2009 at 12:52 PM

SI SI Sports Man of The Year! Driven & Ambition!! lady tiger woods wife can swing a 7 iron (with jesus on it). she isn’t out of the woods yet.

6. Mode - Nov 30, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Although I don’t consider myself a “fanboy” per se, my personal chain was pulled harder than many with previous Derek Jeter posts.
    That said, I appreciate your closing words on this.

7. Don Cross - Jan 20, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Heya i got to your site by mistake when i was searching bing for something off topic here but i do have say your site is really helpful, like the theme and the content on here…so thanks for me procrastinating from my previous task, lol

8. Charles Gipson - Jan 20, 2010 at 5:46 PM

OH crud! i just typed a nice comment and as soon as i submitted it it come up blank! Please tell me it worked properly? I do not want to sumit it again if i do not have to! Either the blog bugged out or i am just stuipd :), the latter doesnt surprise me lol.

9. Janine Breiter - Jan 28, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Let me start by saying nice webpage. Im not sure if it has been addressed, however when using Chrome I can never get the entire post to load without refreshing alot of times. Maybe just my modem. Thanks

10. Rana Bleicher - Feb 10, 2010 at 9:48 AM

haha, Fed is so talented! I love him.

11. online stock trading - Feb 16, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Your site was extremely interesting, especially since I was searching for thoughts on this subject last Thursday.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3293)