Nov 30, 2009, 12:11 AM EDT
Marlins GM Michael Hill told 790 The Ticket’s Hot Stove Show that there was no chance Josh Johnson would be traded this winter.
“Yes, I can say with certainty, yes,” Hill said when asked if Johnson would remain with the team into next season.
Johnson trade speculation started nine days ago, when he and the Marlins reached an impasse on extension talks.
The Marlins control Johnson for two more years, so it’s hardly necessary for them to move the right-hander now. Still, they’re handling the situation terribly foolishly. If they think Johnson is a particularly big injury risk, then they might as well move him while his value is at a high point. If they don’t, then it’s ridiculous that they’re not giving him the four-year deal he wants.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)