Nov 30, 2009, 2:58 PM EDT
WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford reports that Alex Cora is close to returning to the Mets for the same $2 million that he earned this season. According to Bradford the one-year contract will also include a vesting option for 2011, but the details of that aren’t yet available.
Cora was slated for a bench job when he joined the Mets as a free agent last offseason, but Jose Reyes’ hamstring problems pushed him into extended duty and he ended up with more than 300 plate appearances for the first time since 2004 despite playing through torn thumb ligaments in both hands.
He didn’t play particularly well, batting just .251/.320/.310 while making 54 starts at shortstop and another 13 at second base, but as far as utility infielders go Cora is a decent one. As is the case with most mid-30s infielders his range defensively has slipped, but he remains capable of doing a passable job at either up-the-middle spot and has hit .254/.326/.344 over the past three seasons.
MLB shortstops and second basemen hit .271/.332/.405 as a group this season and those numbers include all the starters, so .254/.326/.344 or even .251/.320/.310 isn’t bad from a backup. Plus, if Cora ends up logging 300 plate appearances again in 2010 that means something went terribly wrong for the Mets and paying $2 million for a mediocre utility man will be the least of their problems.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (182)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)