Nov 30, 2009, 7:18 PM EDT
– FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal says the Mets and catcher Henry Blanco are close to agreeing to terms.
Blanco, 38, hit .235/.320/.382 in 204 at-bats while playing behind Nick Hundley in San Diego last season. He’s a career .228/.292/.366 hitter, but he’s always been very well regarded as a defender. It’s something of a surprise to see him land in New York. It’s hard to imagine the Mets going with an Omir Santos-Blanco pairing behind the plate, so it looks like Santos will lose his spot once the team lands a starter.
– Veteran backup catcher Chris Coste told his hometown paper, the Fargo-Moorhead Forum, that he’s signed a major league deal with the Mets.
Coste hit .224/.301/.317 in 205 at-bats for the Phillies and Astros last season. He turns 37 in February and he’s never been very good behind the plate, so it’s odd to see the Mets putting him on their 40-man roster. He’s not an ideal option as a No. 2 catcher, and he probably no longer has the offensive value to be very useful as a pinch-hitter/backup first baseman/third catcher.
– The Cardinals agreed to terms with second baseman Ruben Gotay on a minor league deal.
Gotay was expected to be one of the most sought-after minor league free agents after hitting .272/.429/.450 for the Diamondbacks’ Triple-A club. He’ll provide the same kind of protection for the Cardinals that Jarrett Hoffpauir would have had he not been lost to the Jays on waivers. Gotay is challenged defensively at second base, but he can play there in stints and he’s improved at third base. He might be a legitimate bench player if given the opportunity.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 8
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 55
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)