Nov 30, 2009, 8:30 AM EDT
For those of you who have lost track of the Oakland A’s stadium saga, know that you haven’t missed a ton. Owner Lew Wolff still wants to go to San Jose — he calls it “the only option” in a recent San Jose sales pitch masquerading as a profile on the A’s situation — and he has the backing of Cisco Systems an San Jose public officials on the potential ballpark. All of that is gummed up by the fact that Major League Baseball still has its specially-appointed commission calculating the payoff to the San Francisco Giants — er, I mean “studying the A’s stadium situation.” Nothing can happen until their report comes in, presumably sometime in early 2010.
Into that mix comes word today that the City of Oakland has identified four potential sites for a new A’s ballpark within the city. Apparently Wolff has already dismissed the sites as unworkable, probably because he has already dismissed everything in Oakland as unworkable.
I’m not the world’s biggest A’s ballpark expert — this guys is — but I can’t help but think that Oakland knows that none of those sites will ever happen. I think they believe what I believe: the whole
MLB commission thing is rigged to pave the way for the San Jose move, and against that backdrop, they’re throwing out these proposals in order to make the commission work a bit harder before simply putting its rubber stamp on the inevitable.
If so, good for Oakland for not simply laying down on this. Lew Wolff and the powers that be may one day take baseball from Oakland, but they won’t be able to say that they didn’t have a choice.
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 58
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 43
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)