Nov 30, 2009, 8:30 AM EDT
For those of you who have lost track of the Oakland A’s stadium saga, know that you haven’t missed a ton. Owner Lew Wolff still wants to go to San Jose — he calls it “the only option” in a recent San Jose sales pitch masquerading as a profile on the A’s situation — and he has the backing of Cisco Systems an San Jose public officials on the potential ballpark. All of that is gummed up by the fact that Major League Baseball still has its specially-appointed commission calculating the payoff to the San Francisco Giants — er, I mean “studying the A’s stadium situation.” Nothing can happen until their report comes in, presumably sometime in early 2010.
Into that mix comes word today that the City of Oakland has identified four potential sites for a new A’s ballpark within the city. Apparently Wolff has already dismissed the sites as unworkable, probably because he has already dismissed everything in Oakland as unworkable.
I’m not the world’s biggest A’s ballpark expert — this guys is — but I can’t help but think that Oakland knows that none of those sites will ever happen. I think they believe what I believe: the whole
MLB commission thing is rigged to pave the way for the San Jose move, and against that backdrop, they’re throwing out these proposals in order to make the commission work a bit harder before simply putting its rubber stamp on the inevitable.
If so, good for Oakland for not simply laying down on this. Lew Wolff and the powers that be may one day take baseball from Oakland, but they won’t be able to say that they didn’t have a choice.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)