Nov 30, 2009, 3:20 PM EDT
Wil Ledezma (a) once missed time during the season because he ran his passport and Visa through the washing machine; (b) was non-tendered after the 2008 season; (c) wasn’t signed for 2009 until late December, and even then it was by the worst team in baseball; and (d) put up a 9.53 ERA in five games for the worst team in baseball and was DFA’d by them before the end of April.
Is this the end of the world for Pittsburgh? Of course not. It’s just a minor league deal for some random cannon fodder. But it is a minor league deal with a guy who appears to be all but worthless, at a time of the offseason when the team should be thinking about big picture issues instead of the final pieces of roster flotsam. Winning teams don’t makes these kinds of deals now, do they? Not that anyone would ever mistake Pittsburgh for a winning team.
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 6
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 28
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (186)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)