The Red Sox don't want to sign Bay, no matter what they say

Nov 30, 2009, 9:55 AM EDT

An unnamed executive is telling Rosenthal and Morosi that, even though the Red Sox continue to negotiate with Jason Bay, they probably don’t want to sign him as long as Matt Holliday is out there.

Why?  Compensation pick politics.  If they lose the type-A free agent Bay, they get two picks — a first round compensation pick and a sandwich pick — while signing Holliday simply costs them the first round pick. Even better: the first round pick they get back for Bay would likely be higher than the pick they give up for taking Holliday.

I think Holliday is the better choice anyway — he’s younger and plays better defense — but with the picks breaking out like they are, a BoSox push for his services makes all kinds of sense.

1. APBA Guy - Nov 30, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Craig, what’s going on here? You do a Boston post and no comments by noon ET? Maybe it’s hangover effect from tryptophan.
    Anyway, if I were Boston, I’d be looking at film of Holliday’s at bats with Oakland and against LA in the playoffs last year. Hard and In, two words for the rest of the AL to live by. Bay may not be the second coming of Carl Yaz, but he’s shown he can do it on that stage.

2. Wooden U. Lykteneau - Nov 30, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Unless, of course, you’re one of those weirdos that thinks that’s too small a sample size to judge a player by…

3. Fast Eddy - Nov 30, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Who said the Cardinals will not be able to sign Holliday? You sound as if all Boston has to do is to offer him a contract and it is done. I think the redbirds have something to say about it. They can come up with the money if necessary. This is not the Pirates or KC.
    Fast Eddy in Cinti.

4. Jerronie Moe - Dec 1, 2009 at 1:20 AM

I guess we all have our favorites but it is hard to imagine anyone playing worst defense than Holliday. I just looked at Holliday’s career hitting stats and their not better than Bay’s. The best hitting years Holliday had were in Colorado. He will be over paid next year wherever he goes.

5. Tristan Henton - Jan 17, 2010 at 4:10 AM

I thought it was going to be some boring old post, but it really compensated for my time. I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will find that very useful.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3713)