Dec 1, 2009, 5:20 PM EST
The Yankees declined to offer arbitration to any of their free agents, a group that included Johnny Damon, Hideki Matsui and Xavier Nady.
Damon and Pettitte were the candidates to get offers. Damon, a Type A free agent, could have brought in two draft picks had he left. However, he also had a case for a $15 million+ award in arbitration and he might well have accepted the offer. The Yankees would like him back, but probably at something much closer to $9 million-$10 million per year.
Pettitte is a Type B free agent. It’s very unlikely that he’ll sign with another team this winter, so the offer wasn’t really necessary. He figures to either re-sign with the Yankees or head into retirement.
Matsui, who finished 2009 with 28 homers, 90 RBI and an 876 OPS, was an unranked free agent, leaving nothing to be gained from offering him arbitration. Nady, on the other hand, was a Type B free agent, even though he received all of 28 at-bats last season.
The Yankees can continue to negotiate with every player on their list of free agents. Damon, Pettitte and Matsui are all candidates to return, while Nady, Jerry Hairston Jr. and Eric Hinske are expected to depart.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)