Dec 1, 2009, 4:25 PM EST
Either they’re having big money problems or they’re being run by idiots.
The Dodgers on Tuesday announced that neither Randy Wolf nor Orlando Hudson would receive an arbitration offer.
The same went for Type B free agents Vicente Padilla, Jon Garland, Ronnie Belliard, Guillermo Mota and Will Ohman, though there were no big surprises there.
Both Wolf and Hudson are Type A free agents, so the Dodgers had the opportunity to pick up two draft picks for each.
The news means the Dodgers won’t get any extra draft picks in a year in which they’d lose their top pick if they sign any big free agents.
But that the Dodgers were unwilling to risk Wolf accepting a one-year deal suggests that they won’t be paying the price for any Type A free agents. There was hardly a chance that Wolf would have accepted the offer, but the money situation might be so dire that the team didn’t want to pay signing bonuses to draft picks next summer.
Wolf and Hudson suddenly become a lot more attractive with the news. Wolf and John Lackey were supposed to be the only free agent starters set to require compensation this winter. Now that the signing team is off the hook, Wolf could suddenly be even more attractive to the Mariners, Brewers and the like.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 108
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 4
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 367
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (367)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (109)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)