Dec 1, 2009, 4:25 PM EDT
Either they’re having big money problems or they’re being run by idiots.
The Dodgers on Tuesday announced that neither Randy Wolf nor Orlando Hudson would receive an arbitration offer.
The same went for Type B free agents Vicente Padilla, Jon Garland, Ronnie Belliard, Guillermo Mota and Will Ohman, though there were no big surprises there.
Both Wolf and Hudson are Type A free agents, so the Dodgers had the opportunity to pick up two draft picks for each.
The news means the Dodgers won’t get any extra draft picks in a year in which they’d lose their top pick if they sign any big free agents.
But that the Dodgers were unwilling to risk Wolf accepting a one-year deal suggests that they won’t be paying the price for any Type A free agents. There was hardly a chance that Wolf would have accepted the offer, but the money situation might be so dire that the team didn’t want to pay signing bonuses to draft picks next summer.
Wolf and Hudson suddenly become a lot more attractive with the news. Wolf and John Lackey were supposed to be the only free agent starters set to require compensation this winter. Now that the signing team is off the hook, Wolf could suddenly be even more attractive to the Mariners, Brewers and the like.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 29
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)