Dec 1, 2009, 4:25 PM EDT
Either they’re having big money problems or they’re being run by idiots.
The Dodgers on Tuesday announced that neither Randy Wolf nor Orlando Hudson would receive an arbitration offer.
The same went for Type B free agents Vicente Padilla, Jon Garland, Ronnie Belliard, Guillermo Mota and Will Ohman, though there were no big surprises there.
Both Wolf and Hudson are Type A free agents, so the Dodgers had the opportunity to pick up two draft picks for each.
The news means the Dodgers won’t get any extra draft picks in a year in which they’d lose their top pick if they sign any big free agents.
But that the Dodgers were unwilling to risk Wolf accepting a one-year deal suggests that they won’t be paying the price for any Type A free agents. There was hardly a chance that Wolf would have accepted the offer, but the money situation might be so dire that the team didn’t want to pay signing bonuses to draft picks next summer.
Wolf and Hudson suddenly become a lot more attractive with the news. Wolf and John Lackey were supposed to be the only free agent starters set to require compensation this winter. Now that the signing team is off the hook, Wolf could suddenly be even more attractive to the Mariners, Brewers and the like.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 11
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)