Go Flying Squirrels!

Dec 1, 2009, 7:01 PM EDT

A couple of months ago the new minor league team in Richmond, Virginia announced that it would be known as “The Flying Squirrels.”  My thought at the time: “Um, OK.” All is forgiven, though, because they released their logos today, and I think they’re pretty damn sweet (yes, I’m going to make you click through for them; new logos often have very proud intellectual property attorneys close by).

Minor league logos and mascots are a big deal, as a team with solid ones can realize an awful lot in merchandise sales to people who get off on having weird, ironic or plain old obscure stuff. Just ask the Carolina Mudcats. I think that the Flying Squirrels pass that brand of muster, don’t you?

1. James - Dec 1, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Craig – if the first couple days are any indication of what’s to come… all I can say is OH BOY!. Great stuff. It’s not just quanity, it’s quality stuff too. I’m liking you as a retired attorney and full time writer. Keep up the great work.
    As for minor league mascots… I think the Lake Elsinore Storm has one of the best logos going.

2. James - Dec 1, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Excuse my typo on the word quantity.

3. JBerardi - Dec 1, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Flying Squirrels are cool:

4. Omega - Dec 1, 2009 at 9:11 PM

That’s the toughest Flyin’ Squirrel I ever saw.
    Very nice logos.

5. GimmeSomeSteel - Dec 1, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Nice logos, but they should have licensed Rocket J. Squirrel and done some promotions involving Bullwinkle, Boris Badunov, and Natasha.
    My favorite is still the Lansing Lugnuts.

6. YankeesfanLen - Dec 1, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Somehow, this flying squirrel reminds me of Mighty Mouse, then Andy Kaufman, then….oh, I’m getting all MMIE here.

7. Josh - Dec 1, 2009 at 9:57 PM

I dunno, the font and color scheme remind me of the Rochester Red Wings and countless other “edgy” logos. Are there ever going to be new teams that DON’T go with red and black (I’m a Carolina Hurricanes fan, for what that’s worth)? When I think of flying squirrels, I think acorn yellow and forest green, with an accent color of nut brown. Hideous? Yes. But memorable? You bet!

8. M.Rivers - Dec 1, 2009 at 11:09 PM

That flying squirrel logo looks great, didn’t care to much for the mudcat one though. Would someone please give some marketing advice to San Diego about both it’s logo and the team colors.

9. The Kid - Dec 2, 2009 at 9:09 AM

At first glance, I thought it was a hilarious (if not ridiculous) logo. After to giving it some thought, I had a vision of standing at the plate waiting for the pitch and, instead of a baseball being thrown at me, a rabid flying squirrel comes swooping in and attaches itself to my skull and begins gnawing at my face. Terrifying.

10. GBSimons - Dec 2, 2009 at 9:11 AM

That Storm logo is pretty sweet!

11. Here - Dec 9, 2009 at 4:40 AM

Hey man, I’m meet making this interpret because I’m browsing with the Bainate application and whatever of the frams are a taste odd. But the application isn’t that popular anyway so no worries.

12. Climara Pro - Feb 13, 2010 at 6:53 AM

In searching for sites related to web hosting and specifically comparison hosting linux plan web,

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5466)