Dec 1, 2009, 7:01 PM EST
A couple of months ago the new minor league team in Richmond, Virginia announced that it would be known as “The Flying Squirrels.” My thought at the time: “Um, OK.” All is forgiven, though, because they released their logos today, and I think they’re pretty damn sweet (yes, I’m going to make you click through for them; new logos often have very proud intellectual property attorneys close by).
Minor league logos and mascots are a big deal, as a team with solid ones can realize an awful lot in merchandise sales to people who get off on having weird, ironic or plain old obscure stuff. Just ask the Carolina Mudcats. I think that the Flying Squirrels pass that brand of muster, don’t you?
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 1
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 341
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (343)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Report: Josh Hamilton could get a suspension of “at least 25 games” (71)