Dec 1, 2009, 7:01 PM EDT
A couple of months ago the new minor league team in Richmond, Virginia announced that it would be known as “The Flying Squirrels.” My thought at the time: “Um, OK.” All is forgiven, though, because they released their logos today, and I think they’re pretty damn sweet (yes, I’m going to make you click through for them; new logos often have very proud intellectual property attorneys close by).
Minor league logos and mascots are a big deal, as a team with solid ones can realize an awful lot in merchandise sales to people who get off on having weird, ironic or plain old obscure stuff. Just ask the Carolina Mudcats. I think that the Flying Squirrels pass that brand of muster, don’t you?
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 45
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 106