Dec 1, 2009, 7:01 PM EDT
A couple of months ago the new minor league team in Richmond, Virginia announced that it would be known as “The Flying Squirrels.” My thought at the time: “Um, OK.” All is forgiven, though, because they released their logos today, and I think they’re pretty damn sweet (yes, I’m going to make you click through for them; new logos often have very proud intellectual property attorneys close by).
Minor league logos and mascots are a big deal, as a team with solid ones can realize an awful lot in merchandise sales to people who get off on having weird, ironic or plain old obscure stuff. Just ask the Carolina Mudcats. I think that the Flying Squirrels pass that brand of muster, don’t you?
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 13
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 37
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)