Dec 1, 2009, 7:01 PM EDT
A couple of months ago the new minor league team in Richmond, Virginia announced that it would be known as “The Flying Squirrels.” My thought at the time: “Um, OK.” All is forgiven, though, because they released their logos today, and I think they’re pretty damn sweet (yes, I’m going to make you click through for them; new logos often have very proud intellectual property attorneys close by).
Minor league logos and mascots are a big deal, as a team with solid ones can realize an awful lot in merchandise sales to people who get off on having weird, ironic or plain old obscure stuff. Just ask the Carolina Mudcats. I think that the Flying Squirrels pass that brand of muster, don’t you?
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)