Dec 1, 2009, 7:01 PM EDT
A couple of months ago the new minor league team in Richmond, Virginia announced that it would be known as “The Flying Squirrels.” My thought at the time: “Um, OK.” All is forgiven, though, because they released their logos today, and I think they’re pretty damn sweet (yes, I’m going to make you click through for them; new logos often have very proud intellectual property attorneys close by).
Minor league logos and mascots are a big deal, as a team with solid ones can realize an awful lot in merchandise sales to people who get off on having weird, ironic or plain old obscure stuff. Just ask the Carolina Mudcats. I think that the Flying Squirrels pass that brand of muster, don’t you?
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)