Dec 1, 2009, 10:00 AM EST
Via my buddy Jay at Fack Youk! comes a link to a wonderfully awful column from Jay Sherman at the New York Post. His beef: A-Rod, and not Jeter, should have won SI’s Sportsman of the Year Award:
What’s next for Jeter? An Oscar? An Emmy? The Nobel Peace Prize? This is not to dump on Jeter, again a great champion while — as always
— representing the Yankees and himself with dignity. But that is
familiar for him. So, once more, why now? This feels like lifetime
achievement . . . Rodriguez should win this award. He embodies where sports are now. He
is the intersection of illegal performance enhancers, advancements in
sports medicine, celebrity and on-field genius.
I just love how the New York tabloid media spends five years dumping on A-Rod for everything under the sun and then, just when he stops giving them fuel with which to burn him, they decide to turn him into some redemption story, the relative lack of fatal flaws now standing as a justification for him being honored.
Here’s a mental exercise to consider: if SI had given A-Rod the Sportsman of the Year Award, can you feature Sherman writing a “good call by SI!” column? I sure can’t, and that renders today’s piece nothing more than disingenuous garbage.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (377)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)