Dec 1, 2009, 10:00 AM EDT
Via my buddy Jay at Fack Youk! comes a link to a wonderfully awful column from Jay Sherman at the New York Post. His beef: A-Rod, and not Jeter, should have won SI’s Sportsman of the Year Award:
What’s next for Jeter? An Oscar? An Emmy? The Nobel Peace Prize? This is not to dump on Jeter, again a great champion while — as always
— representing the Yankees and himself with dignity. But that is
familiar for him. So, once more, why now? This feels like lifetime
achievement . . . Rodriguez should win this award. He embodies where sports are now. He
is the intersection of illegal performance enhancers, advancements in
sports medicine, celebrity and on-field genius.
I just love how the New York tabloid media spends five years dumping on A-Rod for everything under the sun and then, just when he stops giving them fuel with which to burn him, they decide to turn him into some redemption story, the relative lack of fatal flaws now standing as a justification for him being honored.
Here’s a mental exercise to consider: if SI had given A-Rod the Sportsman of the Year Award, can you feature Sherman writing a “good call by SI!” column? I sure can’t, and that renders today’s piece nothing more than disingenuous garbage.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 114
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 64
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (129)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)