Dec 1, 2009, 10:00 AM EST
Via my buddy Jay at Fack Youk! comes a link to a wonderfully awful column from Jay Sherman at the New York Post. His beef: A-Rod, and not Jeter, should have won SI’s Sportsman of the Year Award:
What’s next for Jeter? An Oscar? An Emmy? The Nobel Peace Prize? This is not to dump on Jeter, again a great champion while — as always
— representing the Yankees and himself with dignity. But that is
familiar for him. So, once more, why now? This feels like lifetime
achievement . . . Rodriguez should win this award. He embodies where sports are now. He
is the intersection of illegal performance enhancers, advancements in
sports medicine, celebrity and on-field genius.
I just love how the New York tabloid media spends five years dumping on A-Rod for everything under the sun and then, just when he stops giving them fuel with which to burn him, they decide to turn him into some redemption story, the relative lack of fatal flaws now standing as a justification for him being honored.
Here’s a mental exercise to consider: if SI had given A-Rod the Sportsman of the Year Award, can you feature Sherman writing a “good call by SI!” column? I sure can’t, and that renders today’s piece nothing more than disingenuous garbage.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)