Dec 1, 2009, 10:00 AM EST
Via my buddy Jay at Fack Youk! comes a link to a wonderfully awful column from Jay Sherman at the New York Post. His beef: A-Rod, and not Jeter, should have won SI’s Sportsman of the Year Award:
What’s next for Jeter? An Oscar? An Emmy? The Nobel Peace Prize? This is not to dump on Jeter, again a great champion while — as always
— representing the Yankees and himself with dignity. But that is
familiar for him. So, once more, why now? This feels like lifetime
achievement . . . Rodriguez should win this award. He embodies where sports are now. He
is the intersection of illegal performance enhancers, advancements in
sports medicine, celebrity and on-field genius.
I just love how the New York tabloid media spends five years dumping on A-Rod for everything under the sun and then, just when he stops giving them fuel with which to burn him, they decide to turn him into some redemption story, the relative lack of fatal flaws now standing as a justification for him being honored.
Here’s a mental exercise to consider: if SI had given A-Rod the Sportsman of the Year Award, can you feature Sherman writing a “good call by SI!” column? I sure can’t, and that renders today’s piece nothing more than disingenuous garbage.
- Jose Iglesias, with an extended aside about cheeseburger and burrito stats 0
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 4
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 29
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86