Dec 1, 2009, 1:29 PM EDT
Let’s make it a Hall of Fame trifecta. I missed this over the weekend, but here’s Ken Davidoff of Newsday, explaining why, after years of resistance, he has decided to vote for Mark McGwire on his Hall of Fame ballot:
Every era has its taint, whether it’s gamblers, steroids, racism or
something less pernicious such as ballpark dimensions. Our job is to
sift through the nonsense, take the emotion out of the conversation and
determine the best players of the era.
A McGwire induction in Cooperstown wouldn’t be the most uplifting or heart-wrenching. That’s all right.
Life is complicated. We can discuss what happened and what it means.
My thoughts exactly. The guy is a product of his era, and there’s no basis for me thinking that he was any better or any worse a person than hundreds of others in the game during that time or during previous eras when gambling and segregation made a mockery of the competition.
Within the context of his era, Mark McGwire was a superior player. To blackball McGwire is to deny that reality. Likewise, to vote for him is no capitulation to cheating. History will do a better job of judging the era and its players than a quorum of writers who lived through the era can.
I know a lot of you will disagree. Before you do, however, I recommend that you give Davidoff’s reasoning a look first.
(thanks to reader Rick Bender for the heads up)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 23
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 82
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (84)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)