Dec 1, 2009, 6:27 PM EDT
A major league source told FOXSports.com that the Red Sox are serious about pursuing free agent Rich Harden.
Given the Red Sox tendency to favor upside over stability when it comes to short-term deals for pitchers, Harden always figured to be at or near the top of their list of potential pitching upgrades. Ben Sheets has to be viewed as another possibility for the team.
Harden will certainly command a bigger guarantee than John Smoltz and Brad Penny did last season, but he may well be willing to settle for a one-year deal. He could have a chance to make $10 million-$12 million through incentives next year, but it’s doubtful that anyone will be willing to offer him that kind of cash in a two- or three-year deal.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)