Dec 1, 2009, 6:27 PM EST
A major league source told FOXSports.com that the Red Sox are serious about pursuing free agent Rich Harden.
Given the Red Sox tendency to favor upside over stability when it comes to short-term deals for pitchers, Harden always figured to be at or near the top of their list of potential pitching upgrades. Ben Sheets has to be viewed as another possibility for the team.
Harden will certainly command a bigger guarantee than John Smoltz and Brad Penny did last season, but he may well be willing to settle for a one-year deal. He could have a chance to make $10 million-$12 million through incentives next year, but it’s doubtful that anyone will be willing to offer him that kind of cash in a two- or three-year deal.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 15
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)