Dec 1, 2009, 6:27 PM EDT
A major league source told FOXSports.com that the Red Sox are serious about pursuing free agent Rich Harden.
Given the Red Sox tendency to favor upside over stability when it comes to short-term deals for pitchers, Harden always figured to be at or near the top of their list of potential pitching upgrades. Ben Sheets has to be viewed as another possibility for the team.
Harden will certainly command a bigger guarantee than John Smoltz and Brad Penny did last season, but he may well be willing to settle for a one-year deal. He could have a chance to make $10 million-$12 million through incentives next year, but it’s doubtful that anyone will be willing to offer him that kind of cash in a two- or three-year deal.
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 24
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 109
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 155
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (155)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (113)