Dec 1, 2009, 6:27 PM EDT
A major league source told FOXSports.com that the Red Sox are serious about pursuing free agent Rich Harden.
Given the Red Sox tendency to favor upside over stability when it comes to short-term deals for pitchers, Harden always figured to be at or near the top of their list of potential pitching upgrades. Ben Sheets has to be viewed as another possibility for the team.
Harden will certainly command a bigger guarantee than John Smoltz and Brad Penny did last season, but he may well be willing to settle for a one-year deal. He could have a chance to make $10 million-$12 million through incentives next year, but it’s doubtful that anyone will be willing to offer him that kind of cash in a two- or three-year deal.
- Today is the Sox’ annual Patriot’s Day game. It’s more significant now than ever. 10
- Boswell: “Harper may be the Nats’ seventh-best player” 47
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 71
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 10
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 178
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (178)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)