Roy Halladay: trade me now or don't trade me at all

Dec 1, 2009, 10:38 AM EDT

Buster Olney is reporting this morning that Roy Halladay will not approve or even entertain any trades after spring training begins.  That means no deadline deals. That means that the Jays had better act now if they want anything of value for the guy.

Nice to see that Halladay and his folks are making this easy for Toronto. Why not just beat them over the head with their lack of leverage while he’s at it? Say that he won’t drop his no-trade clause unless it’s to a Martian team or something?

1. EvilEmpireE2009 - Dec 1, 2009 at 11:21 AM

I agree, he has the right to say what he did, Toronto gave Wells
    a huge contract, probably one of the worst in the last few years and now they can’t sign Doc and they want to string him along like a puppet.Good for you. He would LQQK good in Pinstripes but not for Hughs or Joba.

2. EvilEmpireE2009 - Dec 1, 2009 at 11:21 AM

I agree, he has the right to say what he did, Toronto gave Wells

3. bobmac - Dec 1, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Let’s see if I have this straight,Craigster.The Blue Jays have been letting Halladay twist in the wind for a year and we are supposed to feel sorry for them when Doc wants to put an end to it.Once again,a moronic statement.

4. Craig Calcaterra - Dec 1, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Failing to acknowledge the change in GMs is what is moronic, bobmac. JP Ricciardi is the one who let him twist over the summer. As soon as Alex A comes in, he grants teams the option of negotiating a long term deal with Halladay and he makes it clear that no teams –even AL East teams — are off the table, both which are things that are only good for Halladay. Roy wants out. The Jays want to trade him. They could all make it easy for each other or they could make it more difficult. By letting it slip that he has a hard deadline on spring training, he lowers the Jays’ leverage and ups the pressure. Not a professional move in my view.

5. David - Dec 1, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Santana did this to the Twins, and it forced them into a pretty lousy trade. If I’m the Blue Jays, this is it for trading Halladay – just keep him, let him walk, and take the picks.
    BTW – you wouldn’t give up Hughes or Joba for one of the top five starters in the AL? Really?

6. peteinfla - Dec 1, 2009 at 12:27 PM

I disagree. Regardless of who the GM was/is, it is the same ownership. Letting him twist last year my have been the doing of JP Ricciardi, but he was a lame duck GM at that point taking orders from Beeston etal. While Alex A. should get credit for granting the window to renegotiotiate, and making him available to everyone (AL East included), I don’t see how the change in GM’s takes the bad taste of last year away from Hallady. They want to move him, he wants to leave, then get it done already. They have at least 2 more months to work out a deal. Once the off season is over, it becomes a huge distraction to the team and the player. Not to mention the personal issue of having to relocate a family. I don’t blame Halladay at all. The Jays have plenty of time to get this done, or let him stay and take the picks next year.

7. MarkH - Dec 1, 2009 at 1:19 PM

I disagree wthat hat Halladay’s doing is something worthy of criticism. If the Jays really wanted to trade him, he would have been traded already. They’re clearly waiting for a great offer, as they should be. Meanwhile, Halladay hasn’t been traded. He wants to win, which is not going to happen in Toronto unless comets destroy New York and Boston (and with Toronto’s luck, Baltimore and Tampa would get the best players in the subsequent dispersion draft). This is his only leverage to speed the process along, if in fact it does that at all. If I were him I’d be viewing their efforts to trade him with skepticism, given that he hasn’t changed uniforms after a solid year or so of rumors. Good for him.

8. RichardInDallas - Dec 3, 2009 at 2:27 PM

I’m kind of in the middle on this. Doc’s demand is justified, but it is one that should absolutely NOT have been in the public eye. Should have been a private meeting, or even a phone call, but the press should have never been invited into this conversation. As it stands, though, the damage is done, and something needs to be done quickly. I know a little AAAA team in Arlington that could sure use an arm like that, especially at a reduced trade value…

Three legends off to Cooperstown