Scott Schoeneweis' wife died of a drug overdose

Dec 1, 2009, 2:23 PM EDT

Gabrielle Schoeneweis, the wife of Diamondbacks’ pitcher Scott Schoeneweis, was found dead in the couple’s home on May 20. Schoeneweis had instituted legal action to prevent the autopsy report from being released. It’s now been released, however, and given what it shows, his desire to not have it out in the public is understandable:

[Schoeneweis'] wife died
from an overdose of cocaine and an anesthetic, lidocaine, an appellate court
disclosed in a ruling released Tuesday. The ruling also said an investigation revealed evidence that Gabrielle
Schoeneweis’ cocaine use “may have caused harm to another person.” That person
was not identified.

Ms. Schoeneweis was home with her four children, ages 14, 7, 5, and 2 at the time of her death. It’s possible that the “harm to another person” could refer to one of the children, making what was already an awful situation truly dreadful.

1. Gate - Dec 1, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Why do we need to publicize the specifics of this?
    Not that the report shouldn’t have been made public (I have no idea the circumstances under which an autopsy report should or should not be made public), but I certainly don’t read this blog to get the latest news on tragic stories involving ballplayers’ wives – at least that’s not what I thought I was reading it for.
    Do you view the content about which you post different at CATB than it was at Shysterball?

2. Grant - Dec 1, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Lidocaine is often added to cocaine to give it that tingly numb sensation on the mucus membranes. Didn’t know it contributed to overdoses. Sad, either way.

3. Palebeerboy - Dec 1, 2009 at 3:50 PM

I concur with Gate. I still clicked on the tab, but felt disgusted with myself for reading it.

4. Craig Calcaterra - Dec 1, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Look, I understand that this sort of story may not be up everyone’s alley. But the mission of this blog is to cover as much baseball content as possible. It was my judgment that this was newsworthy (as it was the Associated Press’ and any number of other outlets). It’s possible for reasonable people to disagree.
    And Gate: this is something I would have certainly covered at ShysterBall, if for no other reason than it involved legal proceedings (Schoeneweis sued to keep the records private).

5. Rich - Dec 1, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Please let the deceased rest in peace. There is no reason why this information has to be made available except for the sensationalism that the media is always looking for.
    Put yourself in the place of the husband and children and see how you would feel if this tyupe of information became available for no positive reason about your deceased wife and mother.
    You should all be ashamed for publishing this, as I am ashamed for reading it.

6. Craig Calcaterra - Dec 1, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Rich — such information is a matter of public record. It always is and always shall be. The only reason this is coming out in a news article as opposed to sitting quietly in a public file right now is because Schoeneweis sued to keep it private contrary to what the law usually requires. No one was snooping the death certificates for sensationalism here.
    And for what it’s worth, there is a good reason for autopsy information to be public. When people die under what the law classifies as unnatural circumstances, it must be investigated by the government (usually the coroner and/or the police). Having the fruits of such investigations private breeds mischief at best, and could cover criminality at worst.
    I know this isn’t everyone’s favorite topic, but I believe that it is newsworthy (as were the initial reports of her death) and I believe in government transparancy when it comes to such matters.

7. Gate - Dec 1, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Craig,
    Appreciate the response.
    I understand that my question may have sounded like an implied criticism – I probably should have posted it separately as opposed to following a stated criticism – but I’m honestly curious as to if/how you see your role changing with the new (or rather expanded) gig. I always looked at the Shysterball blog as primarily focused on adding some analysis/humor to baseball news as opposed to reporting baseball news – is CATB going for more of a mix between the two?

8. Craig Calcaterra - Dec 1, 2009 at 4:40 PM

I think there will be a little of both. We’re certainly looking to cover more in terms of sheer volume than I used to do. For example, today we have something like 22 or 23 posts up on a slow news day already. I never posted more than 10-12 a day over at ShysterBall in a full day, even during the busy season. With such an approach there is going to be some more aggregation of news than I used to do.
    But I still stand by a post I put up a month or two ago: in almost everything I write, I’m looking to add some value, be it analysis, humor, or what have you. I think as things get humming around here that will become apparent (I’m still getting my sea legs).

9. John Pileggi - Dec 1, 2009 at 9:01 PM

On the heels of the Tiger Woods/TMZ mess, this piece felt like information that is no one’s business and that needn’t have been printed. But, this is one of those prices we pay for a transparent and open society, and for the free press we enjoy. I could have done without knowing these facts, but the news is another product of consumer choice. We live in a country of many freedoms and the byproducts are not always satisfying.

10. Andy - Dec 2, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Horrible, horrible, horrible. This was something that didn’t need to come out.

11. Detoxer - Dec 4, 2009 at 9:05 PM

This is a very sad event but is happening all across the nation. At Novus Detox almost all of our patients are coming to us to detox from prescription drugs–not illegal drugs.
    We have to educate people that these are dangerous drugs and have to be treated this way. OxyContin is legal heroin.
    Steve

12. anqam sex - Jan 21, 2010 at 2:54 AM

Very informative article, I have saved it and showed to to some of my friends already.

13. Percy Codde - Jan 22, 2010 at 3:32 AM

Hello,nice post thanks for sharing…. I just joined and I am going to catch up by reading for a while. I hope I can join in soon

14. ÓßÓ - Jan 22, 2010 at 4:34 AM

Cool dude! First of all, the theme is good and the way you present stuff is simply amazing! And your post is quite good. Although this is the first time I visited your blog but the information you provided have obliged meme to bookmark you blog.

15. Ethan Hirz - Jan 22, 2010 at 5:20 AM

nice blog i really appreciate it

16. Kasey Genous - Feb 7, 2010 at 2:10 AM

lol, Tiger is so crazy! hopefully he can recover from this.

17. one tree hill online - Feb 8, 2010 at 5:50 PM

I just discovered your blog while searching for some articles and video documentary. The layout is quite wonderful and I must appreciate the effort you do in posting useful stuff here, thanks mate.

18. Tim Evans - Feb 13, 2010 at 2:18 AM

your blog.

19. oldlady - Mar 24, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Thanks for printing your article. I am glad you did because when I first read about this happening to Mrs. Schoeneweiss, I thought, how horrible, maybe she had a heart defect she didn’t know about, but this is just as bad. Now I feel sorry for nobody but the children who where left subjected to her care and lack of care and what ever else they had to suffer through because of her problem. And I feel the only reason why Scott Schoeneweis sued to keep it quiet is because he doesn’t want people questioning him and facing scrutiny about her apparent drug problem and whether he knew about it (which rumor has it he knew quite well) and if he did why was he leaving 4 children under the age of 12 alone with her. And God help him if it was one of those kids that she “may have caused harm to another person.”

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet