The Angels vote Nick Adenhart a full playoff share

Dec 1, 2009, 11:28 AM EDT

Pardon me, I have a little something in my eye. Must be dust:

Putting their money where their hearts are, the Angels have voted to
send a full share of their postseason purse to the estate of Nick
Adenhart, the young pitcher whose death in an auto accident on April 9
stunned the organization and the baseball world . . .

. . . For sweeping Boston in the ALDS and taking the champion Yankees to six
games in the ALCS, the Angels’ total shares amount came to
$7,088,773.93. They voted 43 full shares, coming to $138,038.57 each,
along with 7.995 partial shares and four cash awards.

You had to assume that they were going to do this, but just because it was a likely move doesn’t make it any less of a touching, classy and outstanding move by the Angels.

1. GimmeSomeSteel - Dec 1, 2009 at 1:35 PM

This was a classy move by the players and coaches. It cost them very little money per man but will mean a lot to the Adenhart family.
    Imagine how much publicity this would get if the player involved had been with Yankees or Red Sox (I’d add the Mets, but there’s no playoff money to split there).

2. grandpashyena - Dec 1, 2009 at 2:53 PM

I just became and Angel’s fan.

3. LKS - Dec 1, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Class act from a class team.
    I’ve always dislike the Angels, mainly b/c they were Yankee-killers, but this season has really brought me around. They handled this season with grace and dignity and it was great to watch.
    The Angels/Yankees series was the toughest for me to watch. I’ve been a Yankee fan since 2nd grade, so I wasn’t about to jump ship, but I was still really impressed with the way they played.
    Congratulations, Angels.

4. Semper Fi - Dec 1, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I am a Yankee fan but always thought the Angels played baseball like it should be played. Its just awesome that they did this for him and his family. It just shows they are a class organization with solid players and a great manager who puts the team first. Its great to see some good come from such a bad situation. Great Job Angels!! A tip of the hat to all of you

5. Omega - Dec 1, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Best story I’ve read all day.

All the trade deadline news to know