Dec 1, 2009, 8:00 AM EDT
Ken Rosenthal reports that the Mets have hired Wayne Krivsky to be a special assistant to Omar Minaya. Krivsky is a former Reds GM and is currently a special assistant to Orioles GM Andy MacPhail.
Krivsky’s real baseball bonafides, however, come from his time with the Twins. As assistant GM to Terry Ryan in Minnesota, Krivsky tended to handle the business end of things: negotiating long-term deals and salary arbitration stuff. He was given a lot of credit for being Ryan’s right hand man, and Ryan made a lot of good moves during that time. Hard to say how much of that is on Ryan and how much on Krivsky but at the very least he was standing around while a lot of success happened.
Krivsky’s time in Cincinnati was a real mixed bag. A widely-panned trade (Austin Kearns and Felipe Lopez to the Nats for some bullpen arms and pitching prospect Daryl Thompson) and some inexplicable contracts (Corey Patterson? For $3 million?) are widely cited. He did a pretty good job early, however, picking up Bronson Arroyo and Brandon Phillips in one-sided deals. He was always good for one or two value moves a season like signing Scott Hatteberg or something.
Krivsky is certainly not a perfect executive, but he is a smart, experienced and generally respected one. Given the caliber of Omar’s previous assistants, those sorts of guys are certainly welcome in the Mets front office.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)