Dec 1, 2009, 8:00 AM EST
Ken Rosenthal reports that the Mets have hired Wayne Krivsky to be a special assistant to Omar Minaya. Krivsky is a former Reds GM and is currently a special assistant to Orioles GM Andy MacPhail.
Krivsky’s real baseball bonafides, however, come from his time with the Twins. As assistant GM to Terry Ryan in Minnesota, Krivsky tended to handle the business end of things: negotiating long-term deals and salary arbitration stuff. He was given a lot of credit for being Ryan’s right hand man, and Ryan made a lot of good moves during that time. Hard to say how much of that is on Ryan and how much on Krivsky but at the very least he was standing around while a lot of success happened.
Krivsky’s time in Cincinnati was a real mixed bag. A widely-panned trade (Austin Kearns and Felipe Lopez to the Nats for some bullpen arms and pitching prospect Daryl Thompson) and some inexplicable contracts (Corey Patterson? For $3 million?) are widely cited. He did a pretty good job early, however, picking up Bronson Arroyo and Brandon Phillips in one-sided deals. He was always good for one or two value moves a season like signing Scott Hatteberg or something.
Krivsky is certainly not a perfect executive, but he is a smart, experienced and generally respected one. Given the caliber of Omar’s previous assistants, those sorts of guys are certainly welcome in the Mets front office.
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 13
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 81
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (82)