Dec 1, 2009, 11:53 AM EST
“They’ve asked me if I think I could play shortstop,” Pedroia says.
“They’ve put it out there and I’ve told them I’m all for it. I can do
it. I can’t wait for Tito [Terry Francona] to call me and ask, ‘Can you
do it?’ I can do it. I really want to do it.”
Pedroia was a shortstop at Arizona State and played a bit of short in the minors, but he was bumped off the position by Hanley Ramirez in the Sox system — himself no great defensive shakes — and has only played six games at short in the majors. Moving to the left on the defensive spectrum is a tough nut to crack, and the odds don’t favor success.
But it’s worth a try, right? I mean, it’s way easier to find a decent second baseman out on the market than a shortstop.
(Thanks to Jason at IIATMS for the heads up.)
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (93)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)