Dec 2, 2009, 12:30 AM EST
With the deadline here, we now have official word on the free agents offered arbitration by their teams.
Type A free agents:
Jason Bay, Red Sox – Yes
Rafael Betancourt, Rockies – Yes
Orlando Cabrera, Twins – No (Contract rules out an arbitration offer)
Johnny Damon, Yankees – No
Octavio Dotel, White Sox – No
Jermaine Dye, White Sox – No
Chone Figgins, Angels – Yes
Mike Gonzalez, Braves – Yes
Kevin Gregg, Cubs – No
LaTroy Hawkins, Astros – No
Matt Holliday, Cardinals – Yes
Orlando Hudson, Dodgers – No
John Lackey, Angels – Yes
Bengie Molina, Giants – No
Darren Oliver, Angels – No
Placido Polanco, Tigers – No
Marco Scutaro, Blue Jays – Yes
Rafael Soriano, Braves – Yes
Miguel Tejada, Astros – No
Jose Valverde, Astros – Yes
Billy Wagner, Red Sox – Yes
Randy Wolf, Dodgers – No
The big surprise here is Wolf, as touched upon earlier.
With Hawkins also falling into the “no” category,, there are just 10 free agents set to require draft-pick compensation. One of those, Betancourt, may very well accept the arbitration offer. There’s a slight chance that Soriano could as well. None of the other players figure to do so.
Wolf, Damon, Hudson, Molina and Hawkins just received significant boosts to their value this winter. Teams that would have been hesitant to give up a first-rounder for them no longer have to worry about it.
Here’s the list of Type B free agents to get offered arbitration:
Rod Barajas, Adrian Beltre, Marlon Byrd, Mark DeRosa, Justin Duchscherer, Brandon Lyon, Jason Marquis, Carl Pavano, Joel Pineiro, Fernando Rodney, Ivan Rodriguez, Brian Shouse, Gregg Zaun
In some of these cases, there could well be an agreement in place for the player to decline arbitration. Rodriguez and Zaun would seem to be likely candidates there. The players, being Type Bs, have nothing to lose in such an arrangement. The teams, on the other hand, would gain a supplemental first-round pick if the offer is rejected and the player departs.
Notable Type Bs not receiving offers include Vladimir Guerrero, Mike Cameron, Nick Johnson, Andy LaRoche, Carlos Delgado, Felipe Lopez, Andy Pettitte, Rich Harden and Erik Bedard.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 7
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (92)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (81)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)