Dec 2, 2009, 8:55 AM EDT
Derek Jeter told reporters last night that Brian Cashman picks his brain about potential transactions, and that Cashman tells free agents talking with the Yankees to call Jeter to answer any questions they may have about playing in New York. I can totally see these conversations:
A.J. Burnett: So, Derek, what’s it like playing in New York?
Jeter: Oh, it’s awesome. I have no complaints.
Burnett: What about the media? I hear they can be kind of tough.
Jeter: No, they’re great. They only write nice stuff. It’s like having a P.R. agency at your disposal.
Burnett: But the fans. They boo their own sometimes . . .
I guess what I’m saying is that having Jeter be the free agent ombudsman is sorta like being the new kid at school and having the prom queen — who also happens to be the class president and valedictorian — showing you around on your first day. It’s nice to have the input, I guess, but you may not be getting the most useful orientation possible.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (99)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)