Dec 2, 2009, 8:55 AM EDT
Derek Jeter told reporters last night that Brian Cashman picks his brain about potential transactions, and that Cashman tells free agents talking with the Yankees to call Jeter to answer any questions they may have about playing in New York. I can totally see these conversations:
A.J. Burnett: So, Derek, what’s it like playing in New York?
Jeter: Oh, it’s awesome. I have no complaints.
Burnett: What about the media? I hear they can be kind of tough.
Jeter: No, they’re great. They only write nice stuff. It’s like having a P.R. agency at your disposal.
Burnett: But the fans. They boo their own sometimes . . .
I guess what I’m saying is that having Jeter be the free agent ombudsman is sorta like being the new kid at school and having the prom queen — who also happens to be the class president and valedictorian — showing you around on your first day. It’s nice to have the input, I guess, but you may not be getting the most useful orientation possible.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 4
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)