Dec 2, 2009, 8:55 AM EST
Derek Jeter told reporters last night that Brian Cashman picks his brain about potential transactions, and that Cashman tells free agents talking with the Yankees to call Jeter to answer any questions they may have about playing in New York. I can totally see these conversations:
A.J. Burnett: So, Derek, what’s it like playing in New York?
Jeter: Oh, it’s awesome. I have no complaints.
Burnett: What about the media? I hear they can be kind of tough.
Jeter: No, they’re great. They only write nice stuff. It’s like having a P.R. agency at your disposal.
Burnett: But the fans. They boo their own sometimes . . .
I guess what I’m saying is that having Jeter be the free agent ombudsman is sorta like being the new kid at school and having the prom queen — who also happens to be the class president and valedictorian — showing you around on your first day. It’s nice to have the input, I guess, but you may not be getting the most useful orientation possible.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)