Assistant GM Derek Jeter

Dec 2, 2009, 8:55 AM EDT

Derek Jeter told reporters last night that Brian Cashman picks his brain about potential transactions, and that Cashman tells free agents talking with the Yankees to call Jeter to answer any questions they may have about playing in New York.  I can totally see these conversations:

A.J. Burnett: So, Derek, what’s it like playing in New York?

Jeter: Oh, it’s awesome. I have no complaints.

Burnett: What about the media? I hear they can be kind of tough.

Jeter: No, they’re great. They only write nice stuff. It’s like having a P.R. agency at your disposal.

Burnett: But the fans. They boo their own sometimes . . .

Jeter: Really?

I guess what I’m saying is that having Jeter be the free agent ombudsman is sorta like being the new kid at school and having the prom queen — who also happens to be the class president and valedictorian — showing you around on your first day. It’s nice to have the input, I guess, but you may not be getting the most useful orientation possible.

1. YankeesfanLen - Dec 2, 2009 at 9:11 AM

Only on the job three days and already touching the third rail.

2. Josh - Dec 2, 2009 at 9:14 AM

Documenting the obvious, more-than-just-player-and-GM friendship between Jeter and Cashman is interesting. I think, beyond this rather one-dimensional anecdote, it would be revealing and quite informative for fans to hear about how they interact within and without the Yankees franchise. Has any modern player ever been that close with a GM?
    By the way, anyone who saw the Pacquiao-Cotto fight last month no doubt saw Jeter ringside…sitting right next to Brian Cashman! I thought it was odd and a bit charming at the time and now I think it’s downright fascinating. We just don’t expect that management and players are friends….

3. Lorna - Dec 2, 2009 at 10:45 AM

I’ve always thought the same thing. I say ask someone who hasn’t had it as great but chose to stay anyway or chose to recruit (if they had no choice) and you’ll get more valuable info.

4. Andy H - Dec 2, 2009 at 11:12 AM

I think any veteran who’s been on the same team for that long will be involved to some extent. I think Chipper Jones gets the same kind of treatment.

5. Joe - Dec 2, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Derek Jeter is probably one of the most under rated players today. 2010 will be his 15th season… Has anyone considered that he may be getting a little experience for his post playing career?

6. smsetnor - Dec 2, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Freaking hilarious made up convo.

7. smsetnor - Dec 2, 2009 at 8:19 PM

At first I thought that maybe your comment was sarcasm. And then I finished reading it and realized that you were serious. Then I prayed for you…Hard.
    I think Jeter is over-rated in some places and then properly rated as a “first ballot” HOFer. I think saying he is under-rated is a tough sell, but would be willing to listen to you give it a shot.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5461)