Dec 2, 2009, 3:58 PM EDT
Carlos Delgado earned $12 million this season, so the Mets choosing not to offer him arbitration was a no-brainer despite his Type B free agent status. However, according to Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post they remain interested in possibly re-signing him to a one-year deal at a lower salary.
As a 37-year-old who missed all but 26 games this season following hip surgery Delgado doesn’t figure to get any multi-year offers, but he did hit .298/.393/.521 before the injury and could be an attractive stop-gap option for several teams. In the Mets’ case that would mean keeping his left-handed bat in the lineup while waiting for 2008 first-round pick Ike Davis to show that he’s MLB ready.
Davis hit .298/.381/.524 with 20 homers in 114 games between high Single-A and Double-A in his first full pro season, so it looks like he could be ready for New York in 2011 or perhaps even the second half of 2010. His pending arrival should limit the Mets to either sticking with Daniel Murphy at first base or bringing in a veteran for just one season, and of the available one-year options Delgado probably makes the most sense.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)