Dec 2, 2009, 3:58 PM EDT
Carlos Delgado earned $12 million this season, so the Mets choosing not to offer him arbitration was a no-brainer despite his Type B free agent status. However, according to Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post they remain interested in possibly re-signing him to a one-year deal at a lower salary.
As a 37-year-old who missed all but 26 games this season following hip surgery Delgado doesn’t figure to get any multi-year offers, but he did hit .298/.393/.521 before the injury and could be an attractive stop-gap option for several teams. In the Mets’ case that would mean keeping his left-handed bat in the lineup while waiting for 2008 first-round pick Ike Davis to show that he’s MLB ready.
Davis hit .298/.381/.524 with 20 homers in 114 games between high Single-A and Double-A in his first full pro season, so it looks like he could be ready for New York in 2011 or perhaps even the second half of 2010. His pending arrival should limit the Mets to either sticking with Daniel Murphy at first base or bringing in a veteran for just one season, and of the available one-year options Delgado probably makes the most sense.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 17
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 29
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 58
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 73
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 86
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)