Dec 2, 2009, 5:25 PM EDT
Miguel Tejada has never played an inning anywhere other than shortstop during his 13-year career, but Jose De Jesus Ortiz of the Houston Chronicle reports that “he’s willing to move from shortstop to third base.”
Based on both Ultimate Zone Rating and my eyes his range his slipped to the point that a move to third base certainly makes sense and few teams have been linked to Tejada as a shortstop despite the position’s weak crop of free agents, so it seems like many front offices agree and no longer view him as an everyday option there.
On the other hand several contending teams could be in the market for a third baseman, including the Phillies, Mariners, Giants, Twins, and Angels. Tejada’s bat has declined along with his glove and his offense would be even less impressive relative to third basemen than compared to shortstops, but if he can make a smooth transition to the new position defensively repeating his .313/.340/.455 production from this season would make him plenty valuable at the hot corner.
“I’m just waiting to see what happens,” Tejada said. “I’m just here in the Dominican Republic waiting to hear something.” Houston general manager Ed Wade explained yesterday that he’ll “continue talks with” Tejada after smartly declining to offer him arbitration, but regardless of his position the 35-year-old former MVP seems unlikely to re-sign with the Astros.
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 6
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 65
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 62
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)