Dec 2, 2009, 5:25 PM EDT
Miguel Tejada has never played an inning anywhere other than shortstop during his 13-year career, but Jose De Jesus Ortiz of the Houston Chronicle reports that “he’s willing to move from shortstop to third base.”
Based on both Ultimate Zone Rating and my eyes his range his slipped to the point that a move to third base certainly makes sense and few teams have been linked to Tejada as a shortstop despite the position’s weak crop of free agents, so it seems like many front offices agree and no longer view him as an everyday option there.
On the other hand several contending teams could be in the market for a third baseman, including the Phillies, Mariners, Giants, Twins, and Angels. Tejada’s bat has declined along with his glove and his offense would be even less impressive relative to third basemen than compared to shortstops, but if he can make a smooth transition to the new position defensively repeating his .313/.340/.455 production from this season would make him plenty valuable at the hot corner.
“I’m just waiting to see what happens,” Tejada said. “I’m just here in the Dominican Republic waiting to hear something.” Houston general manager Ed Wade explained yesterday that he’ll “continue talks with” Tejada after smartly declining to offer him arbitration, but regardless of his position the 35-year-old former MVP seems unlikely to re-sign with the Astros.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)