Dec 2, 2009, 8:20 PM EDT
MLB.com reporters are connecting Placido Polanco to the Phillies, Red Sox and Astros one day after the Tigers declined to offer the Type A free agent arbitration, allowing teams to sign him without surrendering a draft pick.
Todd Zolecki claims the Phils have been “very aggressive in their pursuit” of Polanco as their top choice to replace Pedro Feliz at third base. Adrian Beltre and Mark DeRosa have also been discussed as possibilities there. Zolecki believes that the Phillies are the favorites to land the 34-year-old, who played for Philadelphia from mid-2002 to mid-2005.
Brian McTaggert has the Astros as “seriously interested,” even though they’ve been crying poor and they’re on the hook to Kaz Matsui for another $5 million in 2010. Houston has been hoping that Matsui would take the Kenji Johjima route back to Japan, but there’s been no indication that it’s a real possibility. Matsui remains an above average defensive second baseman, but he’s often hurt and he hit just .250/.302/.357 last season.
The Red Sox could use Polanco at second base if they moved Dustin Pedroia to shortstop, though that’s probably not their preferred option. Polanco has seen his OPS drop from 846 in 2007 to 768 in 2008 and 727 last season, and while he’s more attractive now that he won’t cost teams a draft pick, that doesn’t give him any extra advantage over Orlando Hudson or Felipe Lopez.
Polanco could also be an option for the Dodgers, Twins or Cubs at second base. The Tigers won’t re-sign him, as they need to save money and have an internal replacement ready in Scott Sizemore.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte