Dec 2, 2009, 11:58 AM EDT
Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports reports that the Twins, Brewers, Mariners, and Rangers are in the mix to sign free agent Jarrod Washburn. Meanwhile, the Tigers declined an arbitration offer and apparently have no interest in re-signing Washburn despite trading two prospects to get him at midseason.
Washburn went 1-3 with a 7.33 ERA in eight starts following the trade, allowing 35 runs in 43 innings before missing the final three weeks with a knee injury that required offseason surgery, so it’s understandable that Detroit wants nothing to do with him. Other teams would be smart to follow suit, although at least in the Mariners’ case they know what they’d be getting in Washburn.
An extreme fly-ball pitcher who took advantage of Seattle’s power-deflating ballpark and historically great outfield defense to post a 2.64 ERA through 20 starts this year, his struggles in Detroit can perhaps be blamed on the knee problems. Regardless of that he’s a soft-tossing 35-year-old with mediocre control and a horrible strikeout rate who hasn’t thrown 200 innings since 2003.
Expected Fielding Independent Pitching measures how well a pitcher performed with luck and defense removed from the equation, and since that last 200-inning season Washburn has posted the following xFIP totals: 5.06, 5.01, 5.35, 5.30, 5.11, 4.97. Not surprisingly xFIP doesn’t think very much of extreme fly-ball pitchers who lack pinpoint control and don’t miss any bats.
Once you add in his age, knee surgery, and likely multi-year contract demands Washburn is the epitome of a bad free-agent target. He’s a back-of-the-rotation starter who has gotten by on an awful lot of smoke and mirrors, and if Washburn has any chance to be worth a multi-year commitment he needs to land with a team that has a pitcher-friendly ballpark and outfielders who can chase down his mistakes.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 17
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)