Dec 2, 2009, 11:58 AM EST
Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports reports that the Twins, Brewers, Mariners, and Rangers are in the mix to sign free agent Jarrod Washburn. Meanwhile, the Tigers declined an arbitration offer and apparently have no interest in re-signing Washburn despite trading two prospects to get him at midseason.
Washburn went 1-3 with a 7.33 ERA in eight starts following the trade, allowing 35 runs in 43 innings before missing the final three weeks with a knee injury that required offseason surgery, so it’s understandable that Detroit wants nothing to do with him. Other teams would be smart to follow suit, although at least in the Mariners’ case they know what they’d be getting in Washburn.
An extreme fly-ball pitcher who took advantage of Seattle’s power-deflating ballpark and historically great outfield defense to post a 2.64 ERA through 20 starts this year, his struggles in Detroit can perhaps be blamed on the knee problems. Regardless of that he’s a soft-tossing 35-year-old with mediocre control and a horrible strikeout rate who hasn’t thrown 200 innings since 2003.
Expected Fielding Independent Pitching measures how well a pitcher performed with luck and defense removed from the equation, and since that last 200-inning season Washburn has posted the following xFIP totals: 5.06, 5.01, 5.35, 5.30, 5.11, 4.97. Not surprisingly xFIP doesn’t think very much of extreme fly-ball pitchers who lack pinpoint control and don’t miss any bats.
Once you add in his age, knee surgery, and likely multi-year contract demands Washburn is the epitome of a bad free-agent target. He’s a back-of-the-rotation starter who has gotten by on an awful lot of smoke and mirrors, and if Washburn has any chance to be worth a multi-year commitment he needs to land with a team that has a pitcher-friendly ballpark and outfielders who can chase down his mistakes.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (226)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)