White Sox not seeking Jenks deal, but may listen

Dec 2, 2009, 2:52 PM EDT

Bobby Jenks made headlines last month for suggesting that the White Sox weren’t treating him fairly regarding his injuries and conditioning, at which point general manager Ken Williams publicly stated that Jenks should focus on losing some weight.
Despite that back and forth in the media, Williams made it clear today that he has no plans to trade the portly closer who blew four of his final 11 save attempts before finishing the season on the disabled list with a calf injury. Sort of:

He’s my closer, and I haven’t had one trade discussion about him. That’s not to say I wouldn’t entertain anything, but I’m not going out there actively having talks. He’s one of the game’s better closers and people need closers, but so do we.

Listen, we speak our minds and we don’t stop the players from speaking their minds. We are all grown men here. Nothing that has been said to [the media], whether through Ozzie or me or Bobby, nothing that has been said hasn’t already been said behind closed doors.

Setting aside any public spats and hurt feelings, Jenks is about to get very expensive via arbitration and his performance has slipped in recent years. He earned $5.6 million this season, will get a raise for 2010, and his Expected Fielding Independent Pitching (xFIP) has gone from 2.94 during his first three seasons with the White Sox to 3.84 over the past two years.
Jenks remains a good closer, but his performance has declined to the point that he’s no longer elite, he doesn’t seem like a good bet to age particularly well, he figures to earn around $18 million over the next two seasons before becoming a free agent, and the White Sox are reportedly already up against their payroll limit. Williams may not be looking to deal Jenks, but he’d be smart to listen to offers with an open mind.

1. Lionheart! - Dec 2, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Would you say JJ Putz is on that same career path with the faded glory days coupled with the blatent jiggle in the middle?

2. Carrol Ganley - Jan 12, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Hi buddy, your blog’s design is simple and clean and i like it. Your blog posts are superb. Please keep them coming. Greets!!!

3. Kasie Maohu - Jan 12, 2010 at 2:52 PM

We just couldnt leave your website before saying that we really enjoyed the quality information you offer to your visitors… Will be back often to check up on new stuff you post!

4. Music downloads - Jan 15, 2010 at 1:09 PM

I thought it was going to be some boring old post, but it really compensated for my time. I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will find that very useful.

5. Legalsounds - Jan 15, 2010 at 1:10 PM

6. Bibi Zurek - Jan 24, 2010 at 5:07 PM

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I enjoy seeing websites that understand the value of providing a prime resource for free. I truly loved reading your post. Thanks!

7. MLB headlines - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:26 PM

8. Banks - Feb 10, 2010 at 3:42 AM

Everything is edible, some things are only edible once.

9. Tom Bridging - Feb 21, 2010 at 9:10 PM

If I could rearrange the alphabet, I’d put U and I together.

10. Nora Schemes - Mar 4, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Cool post – thanks a lot m8 You greeted me hi I didn’t reply. you gave me a sweet smile, I responded with a sigh. You showed me your love you received a shrug. But when you bid goodbye I began to cry.

11. Caroline Equity - Mar 4, 2010 at 4:54 PM

What do you call a Lada/Skoda at the top of a hill? A miracle.

12. Don B. Loan - Mar 5, 2010 at 6:39 AM

Why didn’t the wedding guests at Hyannisport want JFK Jr. to show up?He was a complete wreck

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3304)