Dick Enberg hired as Padres announcer

Dec 3, 2009, 9:26 AM EST

Current CBS and former NBC announcer Dick Enberg has been hired to do Padres games. Like almost any multi-sport announcer, Enberg is on record saying that he likes doing baseball more than the other sports he covers, and given that he lives in the San Diego area, this is a great gig in terms of lifestyle.  Not that he’s retiring or anything: he’s still planning on covering Wimbledon and the U.S. Open for CBS.

San Diego’s current play-by-play announcer, Mark Neely, will do the games
Enberg misses while he’s off in tennis land. Former pitcher Mark Grant will continue to be
the color guy.

While there are better play-by-play guys out there, I’ve always found Enberg to be a pleasant and comforting voice.  Having him doing Padre games is going to make me watch more of them when I get my Extra Innings Package hooked up in the spring.

1. The Common Man - Dec 3, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Finally. Craig, I still can’t believe it took you this long to get Extra Innings. Make sure your family says goodbye to their TV right now, since they’ll never get to watch it again.

2. Chris - Dec 3, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Please tell me you’re going to deduct the Extra Innings package as a business expense.

3. Craig Calcaterra - Dec 3, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Oh, indeed, Chris. Indeed.

4. Grant - Dec 3, 2009 at 10:48 AM

“ike almost any multi-sport announcer, Enberg is on record saying that he likes doing baseball more than the other sports he covers…”

Which makes it even more inexplicable that FOX still uses Joe Buck as its #1 baseball guy, considering that he’s on record as hating baseball, or something like that.

5. TheKid - Dec 3, 2009 at 10:58 AM

I’d hate baseball too if I had to sit in a small booth with McCarver for a whole summer.

6. Mike Dark - Dec 3, 2009 at 11:08 AM

The Pads home games have not been part of the Extra Innings since Cox Cable has had the TV contract. Not sure if that has changed recently, but as of a couple of years ago it was not included.
    After watching Enberg do the last 3 or 4 Charger games, I am not excited about this at all. Sure he’s an icon, but as Chip Carey proved, you can’t just show up and start saying whatever you want, it has to have some semblence to reality. Based on his football efforts, its going to be an annoying season listening to him.

7. (Not That) Tom - Dec 3, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Not to mention sitting for that long with an enormous stick up his ass…it’s definitely got to make calling games very painful.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3318)
  2. J. Kang (3138)
  3. C. McGehee (2854)
  4. J. Upton (2846)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2832)
  1. D. Ross (2678)