Dec 3, 2009, 12:55 PM EST
Padres first-round pick Donavan Tate suffered a broken jaw and facial lacerations in an ATV accident over the weekend. He’ll be dining exclusively on liquids for a while following surgery to insert a plate and wire his jaw shut. Hopefully he went big during Thanksgiving.
A high-school outfielder who was selected third overall in June and signed in August for a $3.5 million bonus, Tate was already rehabbing from October surgery to repair a sports hernia. The good news is that going ATV riding suggests the recovery from that surgery went well.
The bad news is that, as Bill Center of the San Diego Union Tribune notes, Tate becomes the eighth Padres first-round pick this decade to “have had injury or personal troubles shortly after the draft.” Matt Bush obviously headlines that list, as the No. 1 overall pick from 2004 got into a bar fight before even making his pro debut and has since racked up an impressive list of incidents and injuries, but Tate is off to a pretty fast start himself.
- Report: Athletics close to a trade involving Jeff Samardzija 0
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)