Dec 3, 2009, 12:55 PM EDT
Padres first-round pick Donavan Tate suffered a broken jaw and facial lacerations in an ATV accident over the weekend. He’ll be dining exclusively on liquids for a while following surgery to insert a plate and wire his jaw shut. Hopefully he went big during Thanksgiving.
A high-school outfielder who was selected third overall in June and signed in August for a $3.5 million bonus, Tate was already rehabbing from October surgery to repair a sports hernia. The good news is that going ATV riding suggests the recovery from that surgery went well.
The bad news is that, as Bill Center of the San Diego Union Tribune notes, Tate becomes the eighth Padres first-round pick this decade to “have had injury or personal troubles shortly after the draft.” Matt Bush obviously headlines that list, as the No. 1 overall pick from 2004 got into a bar fight before even making his pro debut and has since racked up an impressive list of incidents and injuries, but Tate is off to a pretty fast start himself.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)