Dec 3, 2009, 6:29 PM EDT
ESPN Chicago is reporting that the A’s have acquired Jake Fox and Aaron Miles from the Cubs for reliever Jeff Gray and two prospects.
It’s hard to imagine that the A’s actually wanted Miles. Instead, taking all or a portion of his $2.7 million salary was part of the price to get Fox, who is under control for six years and making the minimum. Fox has been a nice minor league slugger for years, but he really busted out last season and hit .259/.311/.468 in 216 at-bats in sporadic playing time for the Cubs. The 27-year-old use to catch and has seen action at first, third and both outfield corners. The A’s could see him as a cheap replacement for the arbitration-eligible Jack Cust in the DH spot.
Since they took on Miles, I’m going to assume that the A’s didn’t give up any notable prospects here. Gray is a middling right-handed reliever who figures to have a difficult time winning a spot on the Cubs pitching staff next spring.
Update – Outfielder Matt Spencer and right-hander Ronny Morla were the two prospects in the deal.
Spencer, 23, was previously acquired from the Phillies in the Joe Blanton deal. He’s a left-handed hitter with some pop and on-base ability, but probably not enough of either to make it as a regular. He might top out as a quad-A player. Morla, 21, is a long shot to have a career as a reliever.
Update 2 – The Daily Herald reports that the Cubs are kicking in $1 million of the $2.7 million that Miles will make in the final year of his two-year contract.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)