Dec 3, 2009, 6:17 PM EST
Sources told ESPN.com on Thursday that free agent Marco Scutaro worked out for the Red Sox in Florida this week.
It was reported earlier in the day that the Red Sox had requested Scutaro’s medical records. The concern is regarding the heel injury that ended Scutaro’s 2009 season. According to the ESPN report, the workout near Scutaro’s home in Miami “helped alleviate” some issues the Red Sox had with the injury.
Scutaro is assumed to be Boston’s top choice to take over at shortstop. He’s likely to command a deal similar to the three-year, $18 million pact that Placido Polanco received from the Phillies.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)