Dec 3, 2009, 6:17 PM EDT
Sources told ESPN.com on Thursday that free agent Marco Scutaro worked out for the Red Sox in Florida this week.
It was reported earlier in the day that the Red Sox had requested Scutaro’s medical records. The concern is regarding the heel injury that ended Scutaro’s 2009 season. According to the ESPN report, the workout near Scutaro’s home in Miami “helped alleviate” some issues the Red Sox had with the injury.
Scutaro is assumed to be Boston’s top choice to take over at shortstop. He’s likely to command a deal similar to the three-year, $18 million pact that Placido Polanco received from the Phillies.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (224)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)